Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hard to close the frunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone having a hard time closing the frunk?? My wife is having a hard time closing it. Actually she tried 10+ times and still can’t close it. My first try, i couldn’t close it but now I can do it 90% of the time. I saw another model Y at supercharging station and the hood looked all bent. Now I’m worried that it’ll be all bent and crap after other people trying to to close it. I wonder if I can put the same spring that allows me to close softly like my model 3??

Not unusual for the frunk to be hard to close when new, but get easier as the seals compress over time.

There are specific points to place you hands to reduce the changes of denting when closing. Cannot slam the frunk, but press firmly with both hands to get that satisfactory click.

I put a dent in the frunk the first day I had it, despite watching all of the YouTube videos and speaking to others. $100 later and dent master the dent was out. Tesla service came out to the house to do a adjustment of the latching mechanism and put some lubricant on. Closes fine now. The Technician showed me how to close it with my hand spread out along the frunk and NOT to close with palms on it as they do in most of the YouTube videos. I did adjust the spacers originally as other people mentioned but noticed it cause a gap from the frunk top to the top of the fenders....adjusting back closed the gap.

Reactions: switchkfbsts
I picked up my car last Thursday (24 Sep) and immediately noticed the same problem with the frunk. Similarly, all four doors need to be slammed to fully close, which makes me cringe every time. Has anyone else had this problem? Are the doors as easily adjusted as the frunk? I set-up an appointment for a mobile tech to come out - I hope they don't charge me for the visit since this is obviously an assembly issue.

There are two rubber stops that screw in and out to adjust. Try screwing them both in one turn or so.

I did this and it is def easier to close. But the frunk sits a little bit lower now. I may have to play with the height to make it work better. I'm also taking the car in for service a few items in 10 days so I will mention it to them.

I picked up my car last Thursday (24 Sep) and immediately noticed the same problem with the frunk. Similarly, all four doors need to be slammed to fully close, which makes me cringe every time. Has anyone else had this problem? Are the doors as easily adjusted as the frunk? I set-up an appointment for a mobile tech to come out - I hope they don't charge me for the visit since this is obviously an assembly issue.

Our model Y doors are too easy to close. My wife and mother in law were kind of slamming the doors and the whole car was shaking. I told them to just literally push the doors in and they close. A lot softer than the modey 3 we have.

Following up on my comment from 9/28.

I talked with the service folks and they dropped some knowledge that solved the frunk closing problem. Simply lay the frunk down to its end of travel, place one hand on top of the Tesla logo, and then push down firmly. Voila, closes like a charm every time! Also, since then, the doors seem to close a bit easier than before - either the seals are wearing in a bit from all that slamming, or I'm getting used to the slamming. Either way, all is solved from my end w/o a visit from the mobile tech.

• Disagree
Reactions: RocDeef and Mike_TV
Following up on my comment from 9/28.

I talked with the service folks and they dropped some knowledge that solved the frunk closing problem. Simply lay the frunk down to its end of travel, place one hand on top of the Tesla logo, and then push down firmly. Voila, closes like a charm every time! Also, since then, the doors seem to close a bit easier than before - either the seals are wearing in a bit from all that slamming, or I'm getting used to the slamming. Either way, all is solved from my end w/o a visit from the mobile tech.

From the Model Y owner's manual, this is the proper way using two hands. Pressing on the logo can cause damage.

upload_2020-10-1_4-42-54.png

Reactions: RocDeef