Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hard Top Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine was $3,200, but they didn't have the color in stock so it took about 14 weeks. Also note that you need to have Tesla fit it the first time as they have to do window adjustment; I don't know if/what they would charge for that as I got mine fitted as part of the annual service and they didn't charge me for that part of the work.

My recollection is that my carbon fiber hard top was about $5000 when I purchased my car last summer. I swapped onto the car myself and didn't need any adjustments. I nearly took it off today with the warm weather here in VT this weekend, but I decided to hold off until it was really summer and not just faux summer!

Apparently (Tesla says) there's no significant weight difference between CF and painted hard tops; but that's never been confirmed with data AFAIK.

The soft top is waterproof, but in heavy rain there is a tendency to leak around the top of the doors and it will drip down onto the door sill and your pants when you open the door to exit/enter.

Thank you guys! The cars do come with a soft top, correct? Is it water tight? Any idea how much weight savings there is between the carbon fiber top and the standard steel, aluminum, fiberglass top?

You misunderstand. Both hard top options are CF; the difference is whether it's painted or clear carbon.

As for the soft top, yes it is included. It's quite water tight, although I'm told you might get a tiny bit of leakage in hard driving rain. (As it happens I've yet to encounter a nasty thunderstorm except when I happened to have the hard top on.)

Thank you guys! The cars do come with a soft top, correct? Is it water tight? Any idea how much weight savings there is between the carbon fiber top and the standard steel, aluminum, fiberglass top?

My hard top is 10 pounds lighter than my soft top (as accurately as I could measure):

I finally weighed both of my tops today. The hard top is heavier, as I'd expected (I believe I've seen a post in another thread indicate the opposite like quoted below), but obviously both are light.
Hard top: 22 pounds
Soft top: 12 pounds
[soft top included support slats, but not bag, since I never keep the bag in the car and none of this adds significant weight]
[Note: my hard top is a clear coat one. I assume that there might be some significant difference in the production process, but wouldn't think that there would be a significant weight difference from a non-clear-coat one. Someone should weigh a non-clear-coat one and post here if it is significantly different.]

The soft top is waterproof, but in heavy rain there is a tendency to leak around the top of the doors and it will drip down onto the door sill and your pants when you open the door to exit/enter.

I had my Roadster for 2 years without a garage and never had a problem with the soft top leaking (I had the soft top on from end of March to end of November and the hard top during the winter). So the problem for me wasn't when the car was sitting in the rain. However, the water does tend to drip on the door sill when you open the door and it is raining. That's my experience but it sounds like it varies slightly from car to car.