Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hard water marks on car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My sprinklers are the devil. Even with ceramic coating they don’t come off easy. I end up covering my car most days when I know they’re coming on in the early morning. That’s definitely a good fix if you are in a similar issue. The cover goes on in less than 5 minutes.

We have extremely hard water in Morris County NJ. I go through about 3 40lb bags of pellets a month (6 of us here). Wish the water utility would soften the supply but they don’t.

Ok thank you everyone, really appreciate your help!

So I bought chemical guys water spot cleaner and it worked, a little too well! I was wiping it in with a micro fibre cloth and was noticing an area where the water wasn’t sticking and seemed different so I got scared and went to the oven with 0000 wool method 😂😂

Does the chemical guys water spot wipe off all the protective sealant? It’s safe to use right? Anyway, next time I’ll probably just use it across the whole roof.

Once it dried it looked ok though, like brand new glass. I sprayed Auto Glym aqua wax on it.

Both options worked, and the CM water spot remover seems quite powerful.

Ok thank you everyone, really appreciate your help!

So I bought chemical guys water spot cleaner and it worked, a little too well! I was wiping it in with a micro fibre cloth and was noticing an area where the water wasn’t sticking and seemed different so I got scared and went to the oven with 0000 wool method 😂😂

Does the chemical guys water spot wipe off all the protective sealant? It’s safe to use right? Anyway, next time I’ll probably just use it across the whole roof.

Once it dried it looked ok though, like brand new glass. I sprayed Auto Glym aqua wax on it.

Both options worked, and the CM water spot remover seems quite powerful.
They recommend removing any remaining residue with soap and water or waterless car wash. It has an acetone smell to it so I’m sure it probably would take down some wax sealants a bit.

Hey I need help I have some hard water spots on my Tesla sunroof, windshield, and back glass does anyone know what I can do to remove them. Nothing has been working I tried chemical guy’s removal that’s didn’t work I even tried the steel wool method and that’s didn’t work also tried compound and polish and it still was stuck there.
ACAFEBEE-DE75-4CF4-85B7-23891AFA5024.jpeg

Hey I need help I have some hard water spots on my Tesla sunroof, windshield, and back glass does anyone know what I can do to remove them. Nothing has been working I tried chemical guy’s removal that’s didn’t work I even tried the steel wool method and that’s didn’t work also tried compound and polish and it still was stuck there.View attachment 940952
Did you try 0000 steel wool with a glass cook top cleaner? Glass cooktop cleaner is fairly abrasive. If so, then the glass is probably in really bad shape. Might have to go with cerium oxide.

Reactions: Adam3
Hey I need help I have some hard water spots on my Tesla sunroof, windshield, and back glass does anyone know what I can do to remove them. Nothing has been working I tried chemical guy’s removal that’s didn’t work I even tried the steel wool method and that’s didn’t work also tried compound and polish and it still was stuck there.View attachment 940952

chemical guys heavy duty waterspot remover (the orange stuff).

If that doesnt work then use car polish on the glass with a clean microfibre applicator sponge.

My sprinklers are the devil. Even with ceramic coating they don’t come off easy. I end up covering my car most days when I know they’re coming on in the early morning. That’s definitely a good fix if you are in a similar issue. The cover goes on in less than 5 minutes.

I keep gallon jugs filled with distilled water from my dehumidifier. My car is garaged, but when I pull into my driveway, the neighbor's water sprinkler hits my car on windy days, I move the car over and then rinse it with the distilled water. No water spots form after doing this.

Reactions: PauliePucks
also tried compound and polish and it still was stuck there.

It sounds like you have already tried an acidic (lower pH) water spot remover as well as a normal compound and cutting pad. If these didn't work, I suggest trying a glass-specific cutting pad and polish.

Here is an article published by Lake County, one of the leading makers of polishing pads, about how to polish glass:

Hope that helps,
Joe

Reactions: PauliePucks
I searched for water spot remover and found this thread. My problem is water spot on the frunk lid that has PPF. I went to one of the chemical guys store and tried the attendant tried their water spot remover but it did not work. Probably because the frunk lid has PPF. Do you guys know of any method to remove water spots from PPF (paint protection film)? I appreciate any help.

I searched for water spot remover and found this thread. My problem is water spot on the frunk lid that has PPF. I went to one of the chemical guys store and tried the attendant tried their water spot remover but it did not work. Probably because the frunk lid has PPF. Do you guys know of any method to remove water spots from PPF (paint protection film)? I appreciate any help.

It sounds like you already tried an acidic (lower pH) water spot remover. If the water spot remover or vinegar does not work, then I would personally try one of these two options:

1) Gyeon makes a polish specifically designed to be used on PPF called Gyeon PPF Renew. I would try some PPF Renew, either by hand or with a finishing pad and a DA polisher.

2) I also found a video on Youtube that shows a detailer removing really bad water spots on PPF by hand with a microfiber towel and some 3D One. Here is a link to the video:

Glass top polish did not work 🥺
Last ditch effort; this will polish the surface of the glass. If this doesn’t work, nothing will. This polish was designed to get mild scratches in glass out.

It’s messy though. So I’d recommend covering the paint.