Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hard wire radar detector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1st I've read all the forums regarding hard wiring. So far I haven't seen any info on anyone being successful at hardwiring a radar detector. I saw that there's no "customer" 12V power available like in the M3. Just want to know if anyone's cracked the code on this. I want it wired so that it goes off when I'm not driving the car. Thank you.

1st I've read all the forums regarding hard wiring.
So far I haven't seen any info on anyone being successful at hardwiring a radar detector.
I saw that there's no "customer" 12V power available like in the M3.
Just want to know if anyone's cracked the code on this.
I want it wired so that it goes off when I'm not driving the car.
Thank you.
Did you look at 12v Switched?

I don't have my car yet but how about taping into the fuse box like every other car.
Yeah there's no clear guidance on this yet. There's no 'customer' fuse box like any other car and it's also not like the M3 is set up. I think the best game plan is to hard wire to the rear view mirror (if that's your thing, I'm not going this direction) or mount behind the screen with the wire routing down through the center console, hardwired to the back of the cigarette lighter. I think it'll be 'always on/hot' so you'll need to manually turn off your detector.
For those of you following, I did test to see if the car would auto off the cigarette lighter as I had the radar detector plugged in and I left it for 30 minutes... Still on.

Yeah there's no clear guidance on this yet. There's no 'customer' fuse box like any other car and it's also not like the M3 is set up. I think the best game plan is to hard wire to the rear view mirror (if that's your thing, I'm not going this direction) or mount behind the screen with the wire routing down through the center console, hardwired to the back of the cigarette lighter. I think it'll be 'always on/hot' so you'll need to manually turn off your detector.
For those of you following, I did test to see if the car would auto off the cigarette lighter as I had the radar detector plugged in and I left it for 30 minutes... Still on.

What detector do you have? I have a Valentine 1 gen 2 plugged into the 12v cigarette lighter in the center console and it auto powers off when I exit the car at pretty much the same time the screen goes dark.

What detector do you have? I have a Valentine 1 gen 2 plugged into the 12v cigarette lighter in the center console and it auto powers off when I exit the car at pretty much the same time the screen goes dark.
I've got the Valentine 1 Gen 1. That's interesting. I'm wondering if it's a gen 2 thing. Does your cigarette lighter plug have a red led? I'm wondering if it remains on.