Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hardware changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if there is a hardware difference, but I believe there is one for the handles. I don't think the functional differences are just software. Otherwise it would be the same for all cars...video is available in one of the handle threads. Probably better than a pic since thy 'look' the same...

The defroster grille still isn't a standard item... the P85+ in the Santana Row showroom last week didn't have them. i think they're "cold weather only" options installed by service.

Neither is the parcel shelf. It is, however, an enhancement or improvement on the current hardware. I just figured it qualified as a "hardware change". Anyone can update their grill to the new design.

Not sure if there is a hardware difference, but I believe there is one for the handles. I don't think the functional differences are just software. Otherwise it would be the same for all cars...video is available in one of the handle threads. Probably better than a pic since thy 'look' the same...

Definitely a hardware difference. I had the new handles (and posted a video about them here), but one of them had an issue where you had to press really hard to get it to "present" itself. I took it in to Tesla service and they replaced it. Now, I have one old-style handle that does not have any "give".

Great thread...thanks brianman.

My S85 (VIN 10647) is out in the parking lot with several of the revisions referred to in this thread, so I went out and snapped some pics. Feel free to re-arrange as needed for thread continuity...

The parcel shelf (split version):
IMG_20130530_133257_008.jpg

IMG_20130530_133308_037.jpg

The trunk footwell cover:
IMG_20130530_133331_844.jpg

IMG_20130530_133349_422.jpg

IMG_20130530_133411_168.jpg

The trunk sill plates (plastic):
IMG_20130530_133429_082.jpg

The rear reading lights (not mentioned in this thread, but elsewhere as a change?):
IMG_20130530_133550_942.jpg

Hope these are helpful.

I've been testing a CS-100. Several Model S's have used it including mine, and no one has melted an adapter yet. Doesn't even get warm.
This is good to hear.

When I inquired about purchasing one from Sun Country Highway a few weeks ago, I was told there was no point since no Tesla could accept a full 80 amps. They said that is why they're really pushing the CS-90s.

Full 80 amps through a HPWC is driving fuse related issues in the HPWC. I routinely charge my P85 @ 80 amps using the OpenEVSE and 1772 adaptor although I do have to navigate past the nag message EVERY time I charge at that rate. In short, it is a HPWC and not a MS issue.

Definitely a hardware difference. I had the new handles (and posted a video about them here), but one of them had an issue where you had to press really hard to get it to "present" itself. I took it in to Tesla service and they replaced it. Now, I have one old-style handle that does not have any "give".
Yikes, I hope thats just temporary until they can replace the old one back with a new, new one!

Full 80 amps through a HPWC is driving fuse related issues in the HPWC. I routinely charge my P85 @ 80 amps using the OpenEVSE and 1772 adaptor although I do have to navigate past the nag message EVERY time I charge at that rate. In short, it is a HPWC and not a MS issue.
That's what Tesla told me too. Good to hear this additional data point that aligns.

Yikes, I hope thats just temporary until they can replace the old one back with a new, new one!

I've informed them of the mistake, but I won't be bringing the car back in for a few weeks. I'm sure they'll make it right...

Just trying to bring this thread back to life since very useful. Since last post there have been updates scattered in other threads:

1) detailed photos from @ken830 on the new footwell cover
2) details on at least 3 generations of rear-facing child seats (prototype vs production w leather trim vs newest all-fabric)
3) blackout on non-tech package
4) reports of 3rd version of J1772 adapter
5) HPWC fuse upgrade
6) no spare wiring or power harnesses on newer builds

I'm leaving off things like the hardware split-off with new pricing (since hardware seems the same) and new options like wheels. That way we can concentrate on the "stealth" hardware changes. In fact perhaps a better title for this thread should be "Stealth Hardware Changes" since everyone is on top of the announced ones...

Not sure how to organize better beyond @brianman updating the original post as an index.