Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hardware classifications for cars with upgraded FSD computer.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has been steadily updating older autopilot vehicles with HW 3.0 including my vehicle which was AP 2.0. I am "that guy" who regularly checks sites like TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker to try and understand what firmware other vehicles like mine are getting and prior to the hw 3.0 upgrade it was easy to understand what hardware I have, but now I don't fully understand how my vehicle or other vehicles like mine are classified. It would be different if Tesla were upgrading all AP 2.0 and AP 2.5 vehicles to the new FSD computer but they are not so I'm curious on the thoughts of the community. Are these older vehicles with upgraded hardware still AP 2.0 and AP 2.5, and if not what should they be called?

A HW 2.5 car that gets the HW3 computer swapped is a HW3 car. Everything's the same as a new-off-line HW3 car as relates to FSD hardware.

A HW2.0 car with the HW3 computer is the odd duck as the sensor suite is a little different from new HW3 cars.
That’s a fair point so there are only a few of us, about a years worth of production give or take who fall into a more difficult to classify category.