Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hardware or software issue on backup camera?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My back up camera fails 50% of the time and it's extremely frustrating!
Screenshot_20190106-130314.jpg

I've had this issue for about 8 weeks. First 4 weeks it would fail about 25% of the time my car starts. I have to do a reboot (press both buttons on wheel) and it works again. Last 4 weeks it hasn't happened once. I made an apt for service and they called yesterday saying that this is a firmware issue and it happens a bunch for 3's and some s's. I'm on a 100D 2018

note to OP, did you update to latest firmware? I went in for an apt today and they confirmed that that issue was resolved by firmware and I can say that I've done 2 updates since I had that issue and I haven't had backup camera fail since then.

Yes I have this same issue almost on a daily basis. Rebooting solves it. Hope they fix it soon.
One of the errr 'joys' of owning a Tesla, buggy software releases that don't actually appear to ever be tested thoroughly prior to deployment, and if you end up worse off after updating (as many do) back luck you can't roll back.
If those service centre workers had a dollar for every time they said to a customer 'a firmware update is coming that will fix that' they'd all be retired in the Bahamas.

• Love
Reactions: outdoors
note to OP, did you update to latest firmware? I went in for an apt today and they confirmed that that issue was resolved by firmware and I can say that I've done 2 updates since I had that issue and I haven't had backup camera fail since then.

I had the same issue and it spontaneously resolved for a month or so, possibly due to SW updates, but it has now come back with a vengeance since I updated to 2019.12.1.2. I put in a service request and they told me that they looked at my driving logs and don't see a problem. They basically told me that I am SOL and don't bother coming in to have it looked at since they don't see the problem. How's that for great service!?:rolleyes: