Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hardware/Software Issue? – Sentry Mode - Car Manufactured February 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Foshtizzle

@Black_Model3
Feb 26, 2020
Chicago
I along with a few other Model 3 owners with cars manufactured around February 2020 are having the same exact issues with Sentry Mode.

After several updates, factory resets, reboots, cycling through several different storage devices(including the Tesla one), formatting storage devices through the car, Windows, and Linux, tried both FAT32 and exFAT, Sentry Mode still to this day does not work properly.

Some examples include, but are not limited to:
  • Sentry Mode is saving random 10min Sentry Events (yes, I checked to make sure they were *Sentry* Events specifically) while driving (aka. when Sentry should be disabled).
  • Sentry Mode is saving 0.2s clips of me opening the driver door when I get to my car *even when Sentry Mode is disabled*.
  • Sentry Mode notification events show up on my screen, but when I go to the Sentry Mode Viewer, they are not found.
  • Sentry Mode clips show up randomly days, sometime weeks later, in my drive folder.
  • Sentry Mode clips that do show up eventually, are corrupt, cannot be viewed.
  • I have personally watched Sentry trigger (headlights flash, Sentry warning on the display), yet had no Sentry Events saved later on when I went to check them.

I along with a few other Model 3 owners with cars manufactured around February 2020 are having the same exact issues with Sentry Mode.

After several updates, factory resets, reboots, cycling through several different storage devices(including the Tesla one), formatting storage devices through the car, Windows, and Linux, tried both FAT32 and exFAT, Sentry Mode still to this day does not work properly.

Some examples include, but are not limited to:
  • Sentry Mode is saving random 10min Sentry Events (yes, I checked to make sure they were *Sentry* Events specifically) while driving (aka. when Sentry should be disabled).
  • Sentry Mode is saving 0.2s clips of me opening the driver door when I get to my car *even when Sentry Mode is disabled*.
  • Sentry Mode notification events show up on my screen, but when I go to the Sentry Mode Viewer, they are not found.
  • Sentry Mode clips show up randomly days, sometime weeks later, in my drive folder.
  • Sentry Mode clips that do show up eventually, are corrupt, cannot be viewed.
  • I have personally watched Sentry trigger (headlights flash, Sentry warning on the display), yet had no Sentry Events saved later on when I went to check them.
Hai there,

This is my fist ever post on this forum.

My car is a November 2019 produced model 3 and I can tell you i am having many issues as well.

In May last year i noticed that the car went to sleep while Sentry mode was active and nothing was recorded (of course). after an extensive logging and analyzing by the tech support. I had the car checked at a SeC. No hardware issues were found. because is was not satisficed I called up again and finally got in contact with someone from the real tech support. And after a short analyses he told me it was a software bug.

Next up...

In February this year I noticed that Sentry mode started doing weird things again. At thirst I noticed the car blinking but no events were recorded. Then I noticed extreme amounts of evens but 0 recordings or recordings 1 seconds long or no image recordings. Then I noticed Sentry mode not triggering on rear camera and trunk button.

So we started investigating.

After multiple USB drives in different sizes. multiple resets and testing scenarios i called support after some pressure they started investigating. But sadly they did not find anything and asked me to make an appointment at the SeC. After i made my appointment was made I received with the old 'please check the plug insturction'. After calling calling the SeC and telling them what had preceded an engineer called me to ask me to record date and times of the events and so I did. After the car was in for a complete hardware check at the SeC. the final conclusion was they did not know. As of cause it was at the end of the day we got our car back everybody had already left the building. Finally the next day i called them and an engineer told me the only explanation was a bug.

In conclusion so if it is a software bug.. I am currently on version 2021.4.15 then everyone probably has no or a very poor working Sentry system.

The technician also told me it was a non priority issue. It can only become a priority if everybody starts complaining and starts writing about it.

Currently on Version 2021.4.15.

I disconnected my wireless charging pad (Nomad wireless charger) from the front USB ports and plugged in the Tesla USB (purchased from their site)

Sentry mode has been working perfectly for 2 weeks since doing this.. (knock on wood)

My 2018 LR Model 3 is having Sentry Mode Viewer issues as well. I'm on software version 2021.32.22. Sometimes is only records one minute clips and there is no red dot on the slider and nothing in the video warranted the recording. Most videos don't play all the way through before it starts over again or just hangs. If I move the video with the slider it goes back to where it was. I'm using the Jeda 256GB SSD, so that isn't the problem. Just seems like the computer can't handle the video because it hangs up so often. So it takes me forever to review the videos. If it's doing this in the car I can't imagine how painful it will be viewing using the app on my phone.