TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Hardware updates?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by docherf, Feb 14, 2017.

1. docherf

docherf Member

2. byan1232

byan1232 Member

Possibly the ability to upgrade from AP1 to AP2? Battery upgrade from 85/90 to 100?

3. Travis Denardo

Travis Denardo VTHokie195

I saw that as well. I too am very curious. I don't think it would be possible to upgrade from AP1 to AP2 because the wiring harnesses probably aren't there for the extra cameras.

I have a pre-AP MS, I would love to see possibly folding mirrors, or center console? I don't know how that could be included in the price of maintenance. Maybe they are just talking about wiper blades and air filters as "hardware"...

• Funny x 1
  4. byan1232

byan1232 Member

Hah! Actually knowing Tesla, I wouldn't be surprised

5. Maximapolak

Maximapolak Member

Somehow I doubt that.

Maybe somewhere along the lines of upgrading hardware (door handles, latches, etc.) where they are less prone to breaking or wearing out over time. I doubt they'll be upgrading AP, batteries and drive units. WAAAAAYYYY too many parts and labor involved.

6. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

Tesla's pre-paid service plans, in the beginning, also included "hardware updates" but nobody every received anything under this particular marketing bullet point. Subsequently the bullet point was removed from the pre-paid service plan page. Such a benefit never appeared in the actual pre-paid service contract. I suspect this latest announcement is nothing more than the same kind of BS.

• Informative x 2
  7. AvengerBB

AvengerBB Member

8. ev-now

ev-now Member

I'm assuming nobody was serious about expecting an AP1 to AP2 upgrade, but just in case - Elon has said it's like spinal cord transplant - just not going to happen, at any price let alone included in any plan.

9. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

Where does it state on the Tesla website (the only specification we have so far) that either the service plan or the extended warranty includes hardware upgrades?

In the 4 years I've owned my S P85, Tesla has installed some new parts - when they found the original parts had problems, such as with the sunroof. But I haven't seen any hardware "upgrades", providing new features, and would be surprised that Tesla would bundle those with any service/warranty plans.

10. Swift

Swift Member

Maybe it's for the likely necessary hardware improvements to make the AP2 cars capable of FSD as advertised.

11. somnambule

somnambule Member

Yeah, that was my first thought too. Perhaps if FSD ends up needing two processing units (instead of the one installed in AP2 cars) as has been mentioned recently by Nvidia and acknowledged by Elon.