TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

"Hardware upgrades" changed to "Service Related Hardware upgrades"

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by yobigd20, Jan 1, 2015.

1. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

Well the infamous "Hardware upgrades" that was shown on the website I just noticed got changed to "Service Related Hardware Upgrades". Dunno exactly when that change happened. I know that's always been a touchy subject to many since we never knew exactly what that meant. I guess it's still up in the air though bc who knows what service related hardware really means anyway.
    I guess that's just to stop all the requests/complaints to get upgrades like parking sensors, better seats, heated steering wheel, etc etc

27149d479e5846d0580a12fcd4512000.jpg

2. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Not to mention that there hasn't been a single hardware upgrade service related or otherwise that has been included as a result my 4+4 annual service plan. Never requested any new hardware features in my car. Just wanted Tesla to support the existing hardware with upgrades, because that's what I thought I was paying for.

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

My car has had various service bulletins applied - as I'm sure most have. They are reliability and/or performance related changes. Not new features.

4. markb1

markb1 Active Member

Yes, but Tesla does that whether or not you purchase prepaid service. I think they also do that even without paying $600 for annual service.

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

My main reason for signing up with the anywhere service plan is that the closest service center is 200 km away. I get valet service whenever I need it.

6. rlang59

rlang59 Member

It's been like that since at least November.

7. scriptacus

scriptacus Member

I don't know if it was just a kindness, but at my request the SC replaced my upper rear seatbelt assemblies and paneling free of charge, after they were redesigned to fix some sticking issues. I had previously noted and demonstrated the issues before the redesign though.

They also replaced my trunk well cover with the more sturdy one at my request, free of charge.

8. apacheguy

@scriptacus - The trouble is that everyone seems to get that kind of service regardless of whether they pay for it or not. While that's all well and good, it leaves those of us who paid up front for service wondering what additional items we are entitled to.

9. yobigd20

Your aren't entitled to anything additional. It's the same service plan. The only difference is whether or not your prepaid for it.

10. rlang59

rlang59 Member

He's talking about the people that haven't paid for any type of service not just those that don't prepay.

11. yobigd20

Yea... I think they just go through a list anytime you bring your car in. If your under warranty it's not part of service anyway and everyone gets it. I think the difference will be once your out of warranty. They don't do TSBs out of warranty. I already requested one fix that everyone else can get but I was denied because I am not longer under warranty and they were explicit about TSBs only being for cars still under warranty.

12. apacheguy

Pretty sure folks out of warranty have paid for service and requested a TSB as well but were turned down. So what gives?

13. yobigd20

Yea I don't get that either. TSBs are for fixing broken defective crap. So by denying it out of warranty they are saying "yes we know we delivered it to you defective but we're not going to do anything about it so HA screw you!" At least that's the way I feel.

14. invisik

invisik Member

Maybe they are trying to recoup some of the dollars spent on the various "free" part replacements throughout the year.

15. CRASCH

CRASCH Member

I asked at the Denver SC. You are just prepaying for the $600 annual service. You don't get anything extra other than a discount of $125 per visit (4x$125 = $500 off).

The service center receives the same $600 for accounting purposes whether you prepay or not. If you prepay the $600 comes from Tesla.

Who knows if this information is correct. I rarely get the same answer to the same question at Tesla.

16. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

Unfortunately the reference to hardware upgrades is only in the web site. The actual prepaid service contract language says nothing about hardware upgrades. The contract governs.