Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Harley-Davidson Launching LiveWire EV Brand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Harley-Davidson announced Monday that it will spin off its all-electric motorcycle brand called LiveWire.

“One of the six pillars of The Hardwire Strategy is to lead in electric – by launching LiveWire as an all-electric brand, we are seizing the opportunity to lead and define the market in EV,” Jochen Zeitz, chairman, president and CEO of Harley-Davidson said in a release. “With the mission to be the most desirable electric motorcycle brand in the world, LiveWire will pioneer the future of motorcycling, for the pursuit of urban adventure and beyond. LiveWire also plans to innovate and develop technology that will be applicable to Harley-Davidson electric motorcycles in the future.”

The first LiveWire branded motorcycle is scheduled to launch on July 8, 2021 and to premiere at the International Motorcycle Show on July 9. LiveWire will operate dedicated EV showrooms in select locations, starting in California. It’s expected to have a city range of 146 miles.

Harley-Davidson and LiveWire intend to cooperate and share their technological advancements, according to a release.

Last edited by a moderator:
It will have level 3fast charging like the LiveWire already does........ and level 2 and 1 for normal home charging...... So there is plenty of charging infrastructure available already...... not as plentiful as the supercharger network but still good.

Reactions: AdamMacDon
L2 charging on the LiveWire is the same speed as L1 so CCS charging is definitely needed. I currently own an Energica Ribelle and had a Zero SR before that. With aftermarket chargers on the Zero it took two hours to fully charge at 6.3kw. The Ribelle is less than half that with CCS. Would not own another Zero because of no DCFC.

HD is a storied brand, if the management decided to separate the two, it has to mean that there is nothing in common between the two types of customers. Pretty sad, actually.

If Ford can leverage Mustang and F-150 brands, surely HD could have.

Energica Ribelle
Very cool, what sort of freeway range do you get( and at what speed)? I really want an electric but my current commute is 98% freeway and I can't charge at work.

Edit: Website says 143 mile range combined, I bet it would have little problem with 80mph / 21miles each way... And I looked up Zero for fun, the SR/S could also make it...

Last edited:
Fantastic and that is one move that will make a much greater dent in GHG then EV cars. Presently motorcycles have NO emission reducing devices (ala Catalytic converter) and they are zillions of motorcycles on the road. Mostly in developing countries. Very few motorcycles are used for long distance so one with over 100 miles of range is great, it will be superb to see the motorcycle industry go electric.

Very cool, what sort of freeway range do you get( and at what speed)? I really want an electric but my current commute is 98% freeway and I can't charge at work.

Edit: Website says 143 mile range combined, I bet it would have little problem with 80mph / 21miles each way... And I looked up Zero for fun, the SR/S could also make it...
I own an Ego instead of the Ribelle so my range is a little better but my 75 mph range is about 80 miles at best. The charge speed is amazing though, it's about 20 minutes from 10-80%.

Reactions: dwolvin