Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Harmful UV Rays and Model X ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Looking to buy a Model X in the next month or so but have a question about the UV rays. A little more sensitive about the situation since we actually have people we know who passed away from skin cancer recently.

I know the rating on the windshield is about as high as you get on a vehicle, but is there anything that you all are doing to reduce possible harmful UV rays on top of that? I was looking at the forum and see people use Spectra Photosync on their windshield but is there anything else?

It's just that when you think about how much you drive and are possibly exposed with the gorgeous large windshield it does bring a slight concern.

Thanks a lot! In the end I think we will still go with the Model X but just hoping to hear from any other forum members that might have done more research than me!

All of the quality films will cut the overwhelming majority (99+%) of UV rays. If you care primarily about the UV protection and want "almost no" tint, something like Llumar's AIR 90 still or 3M Crystalline 90 cuts the UV just as well as any of the darker tinted films. Just search these forums for keywords like "llumar" and "photosync" "crystalline" and you'll find plenty of discussions on the topics, mostly trying to compare brands. The one piece of advice that I think everyone here would agree upon is to pick an installer who has done the Model X windshield before. Also be prepared to pay more for the Model X windshield than any other vehicle. The amount of material and required labor for our Model X windshields are both arguably 2x (or more) that of any other windshield.

Reactions: Cowby and brkaus
I assume you never sit or walk outside if you are that concerned. The kind of UV that is most dangerous for skin is strongly blocked by ordinary window glass, near UV is really just very deep blue.

I am at very high risk for melanoma. So if I do have to be outside for any time, I wear long sleeves, a big hat, sunscreen, etc. I always sit under an umbrella at the beach, etc. It is kind of a PITA, honestly.

My car has a full tint of the 70 3M Crystalline. It might be overkill, but it also reduces heat, so I figure it was worth it.

Hello,

Looking to buy a Model X in the next month or so but have a question about the UV rays. A little more sensitive about the situation since we actually have people we know who passed away from skin cancer recently.

I know the rating on the windshield is about as high as you get on a vehicle, but is there anything that you all are doing to reduce possible harmful UV rays on top of that? I was looking at the forum and see people use Spectra Photosync on their windshield but is there anything else?

It's just that when you think about how much you drive and are possibly exposed with the gorgeous large windshield it does bring a slight concern.

Thanks a lot! In the end I think we will still go with the Model X but just hoping to hear from any other forum members that might have done more research than me!

I believe Tesla claims 99%+ UV rejection but we always use the included sunshade just in case. It helps significantly, and honestly I don't mind the decreased visibility up top at all. We are in southern CA.

UVB and C cause cancer and these are blocked by ordinary glass.
If you're hypersensitive, keep skin covered all the time everywhere.

UVA also contributes to cancer; see UVA & UVB - SkinCancer.org.

Cars are unique in that you may be in the same position for hours at a time with respect to the sun: specifically, the driver's left side of the face and left arm, and right side for the passenger. That's unlike simply walking around outside.

If it's indeed the case that the driver's side window is not laminated (so as to ease escape after an accident) I'll add a film. There is no safe dose for sunlight, and you'll think you're not "sensitive" until multiple melanomas pop up at age 45.

Reactions: dogldogl
The windshield is laminated glass. This means there is already a plastic film sandwhiched between layers of glass. This is done for strength, safety, and flexibility, but also has the side benefit of blocking out 99.9% of all UV light frequencies, equivalent to a broad spectrum SPF 100 sunscreen. Adding an additional film to the windshield provides no tangible benefit for UV. Infrared heat rejection is another story.

The side windows are a different glass. They are tempered glass, which means heat treated (annealed), but no plastic layer. Tempered glass only blocks ~65% of UV, an equivalent to SPF 16 sunscreen. Not very good. This is why there is a prevalence of left-sided skin cancers in left-drive countries, and right-sided skin cancers in right-drive countries.

Bottom line: If you're concerned about UV, have film applied to the side windows, not the windshield.

Sources:
Increased prevalence of left-sided skin cancers. - PubMed - NCBI
Not All Car Windows Protect Against UV Rays
Glass In Car Windows Doesn’t Fully Protect From Sun’s UV Rays, Could Explain Left-Side Skin Cancer

• Informative
Reactions: CarbonFree
Thanks so much for the reply guys!
Yes like people said it's not something you think about often but the amount of time in your cars and in the sun (while it is filtered / blocked etc) is high. Also as the Model X's amazing windshield is also a vector for sunlight that will hit you that no other car with a normal roof (unless you have no roof) has.

I just wanted to be extra careful as I plan on keeping my X for a long time and your answers have helped me a lot!