Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Harris Ranch is getting first battery swap station

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like it is out of beta now. Tweet mentioned that Super Charging is still the future for "non commercial" vehicles. Not sure how many fleet cars would be passing through Harris Ranch though. I wonder if they plan on putting one of these in NYC or DC on the east coast?

Doubt it. I think Elon means they've finally started the beta test. We only recently got reports of people being invited into the beta.

This is his exact tweet:
[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]"Battery pack swap is active between SF and LA and seems to be working well. Supercharging is the future, though, for non-commercial traffic."[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]This was posted 13 hours ago. If they have just now started the beta, what in the heck have they been doing since January? Just because it is out of beta, if it is, does not mean this is going to be open to the general public. There is a ton of logistical nightmares that need to be figured out long after the hardware is up and running.[/FONT]

This is his exact tweet:
[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]"Battery pack swap is active between SF and LA and seems to be working well. Supercharging is the future, though, for non-commercial traffic."[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]This was posted 13 hours ago. If they have just now started the beta, what in the heck have they been doing since January? Just because it is out of beta, if it is, does not mean this is going to be open to the general public. There is a ton of logistical nightmares that need to be figured out long after the hardware is up and running.[/FONT]

Two months is like two seconds in Tesla time. Perhaps you have not been following Tesla for long?

- - - Updated - - -

Can you link to such a post? I have been searching and can't find any (but admittedly the TMC searching can be a bit unpredictable...)

Someone on the local facebook group was invited. And I know I saw a link somewhere on this forum to a post on the other forum about somebody else getting invited.

This is his exact tweet:

They could have employees testing it. Unless people have been camped out outside it they wouldn't have been seen. And maybe they have another, secret location, because conspiracy theories are fun.

So the invite that I saw on the local Facebook group was from one week ago 3/10. The word used in the email was "pilot" not "beta", but for all practical purposes, it's an invite-only beta.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's what I remember seeing on this forum, which turns out to be on this very thread:

Harris Ranch is getting first battery swap station - Page 30
Thanks for looking it up - but that's once again just indirect / hearsay. I was hoping we had someone who actually was in the "pilot" program.
But based on their rules for the firmware "beta" program it's entirely possible that anyone in the battery swap pilot program wouldn't be allowed to talk about it...

Battery swap never made much sense if you got into the details, except as a way for Tesla to earn more money by selling ZEV credits. And I read somewhere that those are phasing out, so it makes even less sense.
I respectfully disagree.
If a 60 owner were able to swap for an 85 battery for the one trip a year where they need the extra range... that would make sense.
Now the economic model of building the stations, etc... no, that doesn't make sense.