TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Harris Ranch is getting first battery swap station

Discussion in 'Supercharging & Charging Infrastructure' started by Lump, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone Member

People online seem to take so much offense that just because Elon announced battery swapping and made one of them that he needs to roll them out everywhere. It was an idea of his and he's testing it out.

2. MITE46

MITE46 Member

Just got the invite email. Hoping to try out the swap this week! This is a game changer for LA -> SF.

currently for LA to SF I have to supercharge 15 min in tejon then 40 min in Harris then 15 min in Gilroy. With the battery swap at Harris ranch, that means only 15 min in tejon ranch.

3. Johan

Johan Funds for M3 secured. Contingent on wife aproval.

Details please! Are you required to swap back to your original pack or not?

4. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

Any Sigs in CA get invited?

5. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

This is a valid question, and I'm sure that Tesla would be checking it out.

6. sbanks

sbanks Member

Properly designed, the life of the car. Easily. Any Mechanical Engineer would agree.

7. thelastdeadmouse

Yep. I'm sure Tesla isn't cheaping out on materials, and with decent materials as long as a fastener is used with appropriate torque and you use the proper tooling to tighten and loosen it, a bolt and its socket can go through thousands of cycles with no appreciable wear.

The only thing that would concern me is if a car in the salt belt of the north east hadn't has its battery removed in a long time, there could be issues with bolts ceasing from corrosion and could be damaged if too much torque was applied. This is another problem that the use of proper materials could pretty much eliminate though.

8. Benjamin Brooks

So did you try it, or are you under an NDA now to not say you did?

9. LargeHamCollider

LargeHamCollider Battery cells != scalable

#329 LargeHamCollider, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  10. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Why did you post this old video?

11. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

Anyone have footage of the Harris Ranch site in action?

12. MITE46

MITE46 Member

13. palmer_md

palmer_md Member

I stopped in on my way south on Friday to watch the Formula E race and I fully expected to see some action due to the holiday weekend travel, but it was essentially shuttered (all the Tesla equipment and cars were locked inside). Same on the way back home (but I was travelling late at night, so perhaps there could have been activity during earlier hours).

14. FredTMC

FredTMC Model S VIN #4925

15. Benjamin Brooks

What did you think of the experience? Would you do it again? Tesla charge you any $$? :)

16. MITE46

MITE46 Member

17. Benjamin Brooks

$40 each way... not bad! I may try getting on the list next month for my umpteenth Model S SF<->LA trip =)
    Did the battery they lend you charge up to at least 265 @ 100%, or 238 @ 90% at your other SpC stop(s)? i.e. not appear to be heavily used 85kWh battery.

18. austinEV

austinEV Supporting Member

I wish TM would drop the whole battery swap thing. It has always been disingenuous. I think it was about continuing to qualify for the CARB zev credits. Then they changed the rules so that it would only count based on the number of swaps you actually did, and the interest in this dropped magically. Just shut it down :(

19. Johan

Johan Funds for M3 secured. Contingent on wife aproval.

Yeah I kind of don't see this whole thing going anywhere soon. But they did this whole hyped-up demo and I guess they need to follow up somehow, or lose face?

With the 70 battery and everything new coming maybe it will be a "Swap lottery" in the end? You pull in, swap, and as you drive off if you're lucky you got an 85kWh D-pack, if not so lucky you got a B-revision 60 kWh pack :)

20. EVenthusiast

EVenthusiast Member

It's not just a CARB thing, it also creates knowledge & experience. Who knows, maybe in the future they'll come out with a whole new battery chemistry, and now they have an automated way of upgrading every Model S within range of one of these stations ;)