Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Harris Ranch is getting first battery swap station

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got the invite email. Hoping to try out the swap this week! This is a game changer for LA -> SF.

currently for LA to SF I have to supercharge 15 min in tejon then 40 min in Harris then 15 min in Gilroy. With the battery swap at Harris ranch, that means only 15 min in tejon ranch.

Details please! Are you required to swap back to your original pack or not?

Properly designed, the life of the car. Easily. Any Mechanical Engineer would agree.

Yep. I'm sure Tesla isn't cheaping out on materials, and with decent materials as long as a fastener is used with appropriate torque and you use the proper tooling to tighten and loosen it, a bolt and its socket can go through thousands of cycles with no appreciable wear.

The only thing that would concern me is if a car in the salt belt of the north east hadn't has its battery removed in a long time, there could be issues with bolts ceasing from corrosion and could be damaged if too much torque was applied. This is another problem that the use of proper materials could pretty much eliminate though.

Just got the invite email. Hoping to try out the swap this week! This is a game changer for LA -> SF.

currently for LA to SF I have to supercharge 15 min in tejon then 40 min in Harris then 15 min in Gilroy. With the battery swap at Harris ranch, that means only 15 min in tejon ranch.

So did you try it, or are you under an NDA now to not say you did?

IMG_1955.JPG

Anyone have footage of the Harris Ranch site in action?

I stopped in on my way south on Friday to watch the Formula E race and I fully expected to see some action due to the holiday weekend travel, but it was essentially shuttered (all the Tesla equipment and cars were locked inside). Same on the way back home (but I was travelling late at night, so perhaps there could have been activity during earlier hours).

$40 each way... not bad! I may try getting on the list next month for my umpteenth Model S SF<->LA trip =)
Did the battery they lend you charge up to at least 265 @ 100%, or 238 @ 90% at your other SpC stop(s)? i.e. not appear to be heavily used 85kWh battery.

It's $80 for two ways...would do it every time except dinner time, because that's prime rib time. =)

Here's a couple more photos...

View attachment 77385

View attachment 77386

View attachment 77387

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 77388
View attachment 77389
View attachment 77390

I wish TM would drop the whole battery swap thing. It has always been disingenuous. I think it was about continuing to qualify for the CARB zev credits. Then they changed the rules so that it would only count based on the number of swaps you actually did, and the interest in this dropped magically. Just shut it down :(

I wish TM would drop the whole battery swap thing. It has always been disingenuous. I think it was about continuing to qualify for the CARB zev credits. Then they changed the rules so that it would only count based on the number of swaps you actually did, and the interest in this dropped magically. Just shut it down :(

Yeah I kind of don't see this whole thing going anywhere soon. But they did this whole hyped-up demo and I guess they need to follow up somehow, or lose face?

With the 70 battery and everything new coming maybe it will be a "Swap lottery" in the end? You pull in, swap, and as you drive off if you're lucky you got an 85kWh D-pack, if not so lucky you got a B-revision 60 kWh pack :)

It's not just a CARB thing, it also creates knowledge & experience. Who knows, maybe in the future they'll come out with a whole new battery chemistry, and now they have an automated way of upgrading every Model S within range of one of these stations ;)