Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Harris Ranch is getting first battery swap station

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I inquired about support for 60KWh cars and received a response from Mark Brooks, Battery Swap Station Service Manager that "Yes. We are supporting the 60 kw version".
That's very cool and of course leads to a lot of other questions but I think I will try it out next time I am driving to LA and back from the Bay Area.

I have a 40kwh in CA. No invite. I wonder if they'll support 40's...

i agree with your assessment of the "battery rental". By doing so, a customer could purchase a lower cost model S (lower kw battery) and "rent" a high capacity battery, when ever they needed the longer range. If Tesla builds these battery swapping stations with the intent of using total automation, a renter could do a drive through type of swap, The system would keep track of who did the swap, when it took place and to whom the battery in their storage racks belong to. Bar code readers. In our manufacturing plant, we use automatic storage retrieval systems that already do this type of material handling. Our robotic systems can unclamp, lower and move the depleted battery into the charge / storage racks. All based on the items bar code. The connections for the electrical and the heating and cooling fluids are doable by using bayonet connectors. Our test systems use this type of connector system. Drive in, system reads your bar code and the rest is simple automation! Even the payment / billing will be automatic.

If the battery swap is done using the type of clamping systems we using in manufacturing, you can do over 500 clamps per day. 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year. Apply the same systems we using in automobile manufacturing and this battery swapping is child's play.
The electrical, fluid connector's and the automation of removal, & installing the batteries are all old hat at Ford.
Watch the Tesla videos showing how our cars are manufactured, look at the robots, automatic material handling, varied customer ordered cars, being built, back to back and no two are are the exact same. Battery swapping is not that complicated nor hard to do. Even with the titanium shield. The swapping program will allow customers to pay less for a smaller battery in their model S, then rent a bigger kw battery when needed
Be glad Tesla is smart enough to figure how to apply for the CARB credits, explore the business of making battery storage systems, make a great car and stay solvent! I want my car company to be street smart and tech savy for a long time.
It takes allot to make me GRIN and I'm still grinning.

Exhibit A:
(From today)

I was there a few weeks ago, and there were two cars charging on 1A and 1B who were each only getting about 10kW. One was nearly empty. The owner of the other came out of the restaurant and said something about his app telling him that charging had stopped before it should have. Mark, who runs the battery swap station, said that they know there are power issues there... one of the reasons they probably won't be expanding it even though it is very busy. However I was getting full rate on 3A; the problem seems tp be only on 1 A&B.

I was there a few weeks ago, and there were two cars charging on 1A and 1B who were each only getting about 10kW. One was nearly empty. The owner of the other came out of the restaurant and said something about his app telling him that charging had stopped before it should have. Mark, who runs the battery swap station, said that they know there are power issues there... one of the reasons they probably won't be expanding it even though it is very busy. However I was getting full rate on 3A; the problem seems tp be only on 1 A&B.
Utility power issues sounds to me like the best reason of all to install a huge battery bank at the site.

I inquired about support for 60KWh cars and received a response from Mark Brooks, Battery Swap Station Service Manager that "Yes. We are supporting the 60 kw version".
That's very cool and of course leads to a lot of other questions but I think I will try it out next time I am driving to LA and back from the Bay Area.

Does the support for the 60kw cars mean that they are swapping it with another fully charged 60kwh battery or otherwise?

+1. Several other sites have this. Wonder what's holding them back from installing it where it's actually a necessity.
My guess is a lack of batteries. Batteries used in stationary storage for Superchargers cannot be used in Model S production. Since Model S sales are currently production constrained, not demand constrained, Tesla's battery supply is needed for cars. They sell more cars, make money that is needed for capital investments to expand capacity, and continue to grow.
Using batteries for Supercharger storage doesn't help grow the company. Tesla is still a young and relatively small car company. There is still a real chance the company could fail. The success of the company rides on the Model 3 selling many hundreds of thousands of units annually, and that means hundreds of new Supercharger stations will be needed over the next few years.

Even the first Gigafactory in full production by 2020 doesn't mean that there will be enough batteries available to give every Supercharger plentiful stationary storage. PowerWall and PowerPack demand, and Model 3 demand, is going to require massive amounts of batteries.

Really? I was not aware any sites had battery back-up. I have not seen that in my travels. Which sites have batteries?

Tejon, Hawthorne, Mojave, Aosta in Italy to name a few.

My guess is a lack of batteries. Batteries used in stationary storage for Superchargers cannot be used in Model S production. Since Model S sales are currently production constrained, not demand constrained, Tesla's battery supply is needed for cars. They sell more cars, make money that is needed for capital investments to expand capacity, and continue to grow.
Using batteries for Supercharger storage doesn't help grow the company. Tesla is still a young and relatively small car company. There is still a real chance the company could fail. The success of the company rides on the Model 3 selling many hundreds of thousands of units annually, and that means hundreds of new Supercharger stations will be needed over the next few years.

Agree, except if it's getting to the point where the outages are negatively impacting sales/perception at one of Teslas flagship supercharging stations. Harris is certainly among the most heavily used SpC in a state with over 20,000 Model S and is also along a key route.