Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Harris Ranch is getting first battery swap station

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI, I walked over to the famous Car Wash while charging at Harris Ranch this morning.

The place was full of hardhat-wearing construction workers. Lots of subcontractor vehicles parked all around the fenced-off perimeter.

So I went up to 3 workers who seemed to be in-charge types, and asked 'em... soooo.... is this going to be the Tesla battery swap station? They told me, "uh, no, as far as we know we are just upgrading the car wash." I was like, really? There's all sorts of rumors flying about Tesla Motors taking over this car wash and converting it to a battery swap station. "Uh, no, don't think so" was the response.

I would say I was 80% sure they were answering honestly, and 20% this was how they were told to answer.

Just throwing this data out there to add to the discussion. I would love to know that someone has obtained more definitive proof that this car wash is truly gonna be the battery swap site. Until then I am much more skeptical now.

When I was there it was not just the crew working at the car wash that stated it was going to be Tesla's battery swap station. Staff members also stated that the car wash was about to be turned into a Tesla Battery Swap Station. ....... I think the crew was funning' ya!! :biggrin: trying to keep us all guessing! :crying:

Not sure I'd want a lot of high pressure water flying around during the battery swap, but maybe a quick high pressure spray before the swap to make sure the pack bolts aren't covered with dirt or mud is required, followed by a high speed blast of hot air.

Finally got a chance to upload the two rather uninteresting photos I took my holding my iPhone over the fence at the front side and back side of the car wash construction area. Here goes... nothing notable...

tsla-batt-swap-carwash2.jpg
tsla-batt-swap-carwash1.jpg

Does that location appear to have enough room to store and move a large number of battery packs?
There is plenty of open land in the area. The gas station's footprint is huge. Here are some photos I took on my x-country trip when an ICE showed up at that location on-fire. I know I am going off-topic, but that's the photos I have of this location, they give you a sense of the open land.
openland.jpg
fire.jpg

Does that location appear to have enough room to store and move a large number of battery packs?

If it's a test site, they wouldn't need lots of room. Besides, I'd think that given a hot, dry location near a gas station where you're battery swaps on cars batteries underneath, you'd want to store your batteries underground.

There is of course the possibility that in a hot, dry, dusty location people want to wash their cars a lot so it's worth investing money on a good car wash.

If it's a test site, they wouldn't need lots of room. Besides, I'd think that given a hot, dry location near a gas station where you're battery swaps on cars batteries underneath, you'd want to store your batteries underground.

There is of course the possibility that in a hot, dry, dusty location people want to wash their cars a lot so it's worth investing money on a good car wash.

Just to answer JRP3's question, there should be plenty of room to do whatever Tesla needs to do for this swapping. I've walked around by this car wash while waiting to charge and it is surprising empty on this side of Harris Ranch, pretty much deserted compared to the buzz of activity in the parking lot where the Superchargers are.

US alone needs 600 super chargers to manage X and 3 by 2017

More than that. If Model S & X sales = 200,000 and Model 3 = 100,000 cars, with previous cumulative total cars sold = 250,000, the Tesla will double the number of cars on the road in 2017 compared to 2012-2016. They'll likely have to add 50% to the network each year.

Worldwide
2012 - 10
2013 - 54
2014 - 191 so far, 250 projected
2015 - 375?
2016 - 550

Total to start 2017 = 1239

Holy Toledo! Did anyone realize that having a bonfire right on top of large tanks of gasoline just might not be the best idea?

It was quite a sad story actually. I was just leaving the supercharger on the first day of my journey when I noticed the smoke. I drove over to see what the hoopla was about and since I was blogging, I stayed around to watch the whole scene. Turns out the driver had just bought the car to drive from somewhere north, probably in the Bay Area to drive down to his son's funeral in LA. I think he did not realize what was going on till he got to the gas station.

It crossed my mind to give him a ride but I was only heading to Lebec for the night.