Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Harris Ranch is getting first battery swap station

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep.. to reiterate, suspension must be modified/changed to support the added mass of the larger pack. The pack upgrade can be done, it's just not cheap. Also, you will likely have to make your Tesla service manager's life hell before he will even consider doing it. At least until Tesla publically acknowledges that pack upgrade can and will be done.

interesting. I don't recall that suspension mods were part of the 60 to 85 upgrade that a guy did like 6 months ago

also, I recall that the weight difference between 60 & 85 is less than 200 lbs.

are you getting this info directly from your local Tesla service center?

thx!

interesting. I don't recall that suspension mods were part of the 60 to 85 upgrade that a guy did like 6 months ago

also, I recall that the weight difference between 60 & 85 is less than 200 lbs.

are you getting this info directly from your local Tesla service center?

thx!

From someone who has had the swap done on their car, a while ago. Caveat: that was with a coil equipped car. But my guess is that it doesn't make a difference. My thinking is that there are dampening and spring rate changes required. So they would have to put in new struts.

Edit: Final comment, suspension change or not is besides the point. It's not that the swap can't be done, but that they won't do it unless you have some kind of significant leverage over Tesla like say David Noland from greencarreports.com. This is what is most frustrating to me. Is it because we are 60 owners that we somehow are not deserving future upgrades like the 85s? I bought my model S with the idea of pack swap ability in mind. That I could upgrade as technology advances... where in the fine print did they say "only 85s kwh cars will benefit from future battery enhancements"? <end rant>

Last edited:
FWIW, did my first swap over last weekend when we drove to SF for a wedding. Didn't need the time savings, just curious as to how it works. Same experience as the others on this thread. Call to set up both appointments, first swap takes longer (about 8 1/2 minutes over the pit), second swap much faster (about 4 minutes over the pit). My loaner was pretty fresh, took a 268 mile charge. Got my battery back on the return. Overall observations - clean, courteous, timely, delivers on the promise. I would do it again.

No idea if the business model works, but the swapping sure does!

Cost of the service is $80 for the two swaps (i.e., $40 per swap), paid up front at the time of the first one. I asked, and Mark, the guy in charge of the swap prototype says that Storage SOC is full charge, but it is usually just for a few days which they say does not impact the longevity of the battery, especially since they are climate controlled throughout, keep them nice and cool.

Cost of the service is $80 for the two swaps (i.e., $40 per swap), paid up front at the time of the first one. I asked, and Mark, the guy in charge of the swap prototype says that Storage SOC is full charge, but it is usually just for a few days which they say does not impact the longevity of the battery, especially since they are climate controlled throughout, keep them nice and cool.
REALLY??? For "a few days"? Goodness! Kinda goes against EVERYthing we have heard over the years.

Has anyone with an 'A' battery received an invite or done a battery swap?

I have an A battery (Signature), and stopped in last time I drove north. Mark said he'd ask if I could get on the invite list, but I didn't hear anything. He had a list of VIN ranges and there were no low numbers on it. So I think the answer is no, there will never be battery swap for A batteries.

Any idea why

My guess (but it's only a guess) is that there are a number of differences between the A and later batteries, maybe even to the extent of bolt patterns, connectors, stuff like that. As far as I know, no car that shipped with an A battery has ever been upgraded, even if the battery needed to be replaced for some reason (which mine did a couple of years ago). At the very least, this makes me think that they would need to swap with another A, which means that they'd have to have extra inventory at the station, which would be a pest for a relatively few cars.

My guess (but it's only a guess) is that there are a number of differences between the A and later batteries, maybe even to the extent of bolt patterns, connectors, stuff like that. As far as I know, no car that shipped with an A battery has ever been upgraded, even if the battery needed to be replaced for some reason (which mine did a couple of years ago). At the very least, this makes me think that they would need to swap with another A, which means that they'd have to have extra inventory at the station, which would be a pest for a relatively few cars.

I am Sig VIN 532 and initially had an 'A' pack. Something happened to my original battery and I was pleasantly surprised that Tesla swapped it out with a 'D' pack. I'll double check as it might be a 'B' pack, but I definitely don't have an 'A' pack anymore.

There have been a few, although rare, instances of 85 kWh A batteries being upgraded to B batteries. The one I know directly, has asked to remain anonymous, but I can assure you that the swap happened without any great difficulty.

There have been a few, although rare, instances of 85 kWh A batteries being upgraded to B batteries. The one I know directly, has asked to remain anonymous, but I can assure you that the swap happened without any great difficulty.

Mine was swapped before they were doing just the contactor replacement, not at the station. Are you saying there have been swaps from A to B at Harris Ranch?

I have a friend with a Sig who had an issue with his A pack. Tesla replaced it with a B. This was very early on, however. But it implies the bolt pattern etc are likely the same.