Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Harris Ranch is getting first battery swap station

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_6128.jpg

I hope they smooth out the guide rails corners, they look like they could do some damage.

I stopped by on my way back north again today. All closed up, but there was a car left sitting inside. You can see just how close the tires are to the opening, and there is also a section of the opening between the wheels that pulls back about 6" to allow for more access to the bottom of the car from underneath. I can't wait to see this in action.

IMG_6128.jpg

You can see a car battery in the pit. Neat!

If they decide to roll these out in a big way I think they're going to need a system like in some car washes that grabs the wheels and pulls the car in instead of the driver doing it. No question someone will jump one of those little PVC tubes and drop a wheel in there.

In that video, there are no tire guides as there are on the Tesla's. The risk would be minimum with the guides in place (they seem to work fairly well at car washes).

There is a guiding divisor where the pit opens.

Engineering is a race between engineers making things fool proof, and the universe making better fools.
As of now, the universe is in the lead...

I don't think the guide rails would let you make this mistake.

I think they would. The car could just straddle one of the guides. Have you seen how some people park? I think this is a real possibility. But besides preventing the car from falling in the pit, it would be a good idea to prevent people from falling in, as well. I see they do have a ribbon-like thing to pull across to warn people away from the pit, but I don't think this is practical for a public battery swap station that is in constant use.

Thanks Teslaficnado from down under

Very nice photos! It pays to show up when the sun is above the horizon (unlike my 2-prior visits).

I'm wondering how they are solving the problem of input voltage fluctuation that was knocking the Harris Ranch superchargers off line.

11.21.14.jpg

If the problem persists, the swap station makes for a good alternate plan. Or they may plan to use the reserve stack of batteries at the swap station, looks to have a capacity of 20-batteries, as a power reserve for the supercharger. Though this seems a pie-in-the-sky idea.