Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Harris Ranch Superchargers and Supercharging Software Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still can't figure out why the engineers put the charge port in the rear left corner of the car ... the worst choice possible IMHO. If they had put it in the rear right corner one could easily use a charger positioned at a curb, or if they had put it in the front center of the car like the Nissan LEAF they could have put one supercharger at the center of four side-by-side/nose-to-nose parking spaces. Then one could have potentially reached four cars with the single cable of one supercharger. Much less probability of being ICEd out in that case.

I still can't figure out why the engineers put the charge port in the rear left corner of the car ... the worst choice possible IMHO. If they had put it in the rear right corner one could easily use a charger positioned at a curb, or if they had put it in the front center of the car like the Nissan LEAF they could have put one supercharger at the center of four side-by-side/nose-to-nose parking spaces. Then one could have potentially reached four cars with the single cable of one supercharger. Much less probability of being ICEd out in that case.

I think the answer to that is that they expect the Model S not to be charged frequently when away from home because of the big battery and when you charge at home, every day, the port is on the drivers side for convenience.

I still can't figure out why the engineers put the charge port in the rear left corner of the car ... the worst choice possible IMHO.

For me it's the best place possible. Easy to get to from the driver's side. I'd guess 95% of cars have the fueling port in the same location. The few that don't are likely Japanese designs that were unmodified for the Japanese left-hand drive market.

The front like the leaf seems like a really poor place - I'd be constantly tripping over it to get around the front of the car in my garage.

Can't wait for the new Harris ranch chargers to be turned on. Got there today and there were 3 others ahead of me. 5 minutes later another person showed up but left for an RV park because they didn't need much charge.

On each visit here (Friday and today), there were people who wanted to charge up with extra just because. One guy wanted to charge up to full max range and another guy wanted 50 miles of padding) I think that when anyone is waiting, you should be courteous and stop charging and move along to the next supercharger. Somewhat frustrating. Hopefully this will fix itself when the new chargers go online.

On each visit here (Friday and today), there were people who wanted to charge up with extra just because.
Unfortunately, that's what happens when you offer free charging. Really annoying when there's a very limited number of chargers, less annoying with sufficient infrastructure available. Part of it is also driver education.

See this all the time with free L2 and CHAdeMO chargers.

The idea of not filling your car up completely when getting fuel is foreign to most people. Having to stop at a certain point and travel to the next filling station is not something that a lot of people are going to want to do, we are used to an ICE car, you fill up the tank and go.