Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Harris Ranch to Dublin SC actual range needed and charging in Napa

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've searched for an answer to this question, but didn't find it. I'm driving form So Cal to Napa in a couple weeks and entered the route in EV Trip Planner. It shows the actual mileage between Harris Ranch and Dublin to be 150 miles, but says I'll use 235 miles rated. I assume because of elevation? Those that have taken this route (south to north), is this what I should expect? I have an S85.

The other question is related to charging in Napa. We're staying in a VRBO with 110 charging available only. Nearly all of the destination chargers on Tesla's SC map show for patrons only. The exception I saw was the River Terrace Inn. Has anyone found the various destination charging places to being more open to non-patrons? Is it customary to offer to pay for charging (or just slip a little cash to the person you're asking)?

I have done the trip multiple times. Definitely doable with a 85 on a full charge at Harris ranch. Elevation and wind definitely takes a toll on the mileage. I would say, charge to no less than 225 miles at Harris Ranch to get to Dublin comfortably. Can't comment on charging at Napa but you are right that most destination chargers are for patron only.

We're staying in a VRBO with 110 charging available only. Nearly all of the destination chargers on Tesla's SC map show for patrons only. The exception I saw was the River Terrace Inn. Has anyone found the various destination charging places to being more open to non-patrons? Is it customary to offer to pay for charging (or just slip a little cash to the person you're asking)?
If you want to charge at more than 110V, then you should patronize one of the hotels or B&Bs that has a Tesla HPWC. They participate in destination charging in order to attract customers. If a lot of non-customers start asking to charge there too, these hosts may decide it's more trouble than it's worth. They're not in the business of selling electricity, they're in the business of renting rooms.

You might encourage the VRBO to install a 14-50 to attract Tesla tourism. I know of several that have done so.

The other question is related to charging in Napa. We're staying in a VRBO with 110 charging available only. Nearly all of the destination chargers on Tesla's SC map show for patrons only. The exception I saw was the River Terrace Inn. Has anyone found the various destination charging places to being more open to non-patrons? Is it customary to offer to pay for charging (or just slip a little cash to the person you're asking)?

You can charge at Napa River Inn - they have two Tesla chargers plus 2-3 other EV chargers. Parking lot serves the Inn plus restaurants, shops, and cafe - no need to ask permission. Depending on days/times you are ther, the Tesla chargers may be occupied, lots of traffic on weekends. Another potential option is the Napa supercharger which is nearing completion - you can track progress here: Supercharger - Napa (Tesla says will open ) - Page 13

I did the trip in November. When I got to Harris Ranch I had 150 miles on battery. Plugged in and had a beer while waiting to top off. After about 10-15 minutes the power went out. A plan hit the power lines at the airstrip. I got in the car and I was up to 190 miles. I decided I better go the speed limit. I drove at 70 with the heater off and I had 30 miles left when I got home to Livermore. Dublin would be another 8 miles.