Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Harsh puinshment for early X ordering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To all,

I reserved my X in summer 2015 and ordered in February 2016. At time of the order, I picked Dark Ash Wood Décor as a $750 option. On April 1, 2016, Dark Ash Wood officially become a standard feature, which means, people who ordered and picked Dark Ash Wood do not have to pay for extra. I have call-in HQ, DS, Owner's Adviser and plead my case and asked to wave the $750 charge. I believe it is unfair. The car is not even in production, and by the time of the delivery, my car already have devalued $750. For me, this is unfair and unacceptable. It is a punishment. HQ never replied me. I also had to reach out to DS and Owner's Adviser again and again to follow up and continue to "fight" for my right. No one contacted me, not even once.
At the end, here is what I had to do:
1. Pay $500 to change option
2. Change option from Dark Ash Wood Décor to Dark Ask Wood Décor
3. So, I saved $250 for the overall cost of the car.
I was heart broken and still am. What a punishment for early order. If I waited, none of the waiting game or quality or build issues would be my concerned.
I waited on Tesla, stood along side with it, ordered it early. None of those really matters.
What a punishment to believe in you!

I don't know if anyone in Tesla will feel my pain.

Tesla's constantly evolving feature set means that at any point in time, this could affect almost every buyer. We confirmed our S order shortly before the fabric headliner was discontinued and an option that had been $1,000 became the standard. Our S was also built within a week or so of when 4G became standard, so we just missed out on that, too.

We purchased the car knowing that features could and would change regularly. I was OK with that at the time I placed the order, when I confirmed the order, when we picked up the car, and today -- nearly 11 months later.

To all,

I reserved my X in summer 2015 and ordered in February 2016. At time of the order, I picked Dark Ash Wood Décor as a $750 option. On April 1, 2016, Dark Ash Wood officially become a standard feature, which means, people who ordered and picked Dark Ash Wood do not have to pay for extra. I have call-in HQ, DS, Owner's Adviser and plead my case and asked to wave the $750 charge. I believe it is unfair. The car is not even in production, and by the time of the delivery, my car already have devalued $750. For me, this is unfair and unacceptable. It is a punishment. HQ never replied me. I also had to reach out to DS and Owner's Adviser again and again to follow up and continue to "fight" for my right. No one contacted me, not even once.
At the end, here is what I had to do:
1. Pay $500 to change option
2. Change option from Dark Ash Wood Décor to Dark Ask Wood Décor
3. So, I saved $250 for the overall cost of the car.
I was heart broken and still am. What a punishment for early order. If I waited, none of the waiting game or quality or build issues would be my concerned.
I waited on Tesla, stood along side with it, ordered it early. None of those really matters.
What a punishment to believe in you!

I don't know if anyone in Tesla will feel my pain.
I agree, same for me, reserved June 14 confirmed January 16. Why should I pay for something that is standard and someone who confirms now gets it for free. Not the way to treat long term customers who will own 2 Tesla's and has people getting their cars before me who have waited several months not several years.

The fact that you can pay a $500 change fee and still net a $250 savings suggests to me that Tesla didn't think this through very well. That is not the type of transaction a customer centric business ever wants to have happen. I understand that they don't want to st a precedent of covering price reductions, but with the substantial delay in deliveries it would have been a very reasonable action to adjust costs for delayed/not yet delivered vehicles.

"Heartbroken" seems pretty dramatic. You thought it was worthwhile at the time, you're getting what you ordered. Your complaint is that someone else is getting it for less, and that's fine. I'm not here to invalidate your feelings.

I paid for the towing package ($750) but it seems all early builds got it, whether they paid or not. People paid $40k over two years ago to get their cars first, and production 90Ds (including mine) were delivered before some of them. P90Ds were supposed to be prioritized, and many 90Ds were out before those. There are plenty of examples similar to yours. There are also the examples where people paid for 70D but will be getting a $3k upgrade free of charge (cough, cough @Merrill! ;)) so it swings both ways.

I suggest you mend that broken heart and get excited about driving the coolest CUV on the planet.

EARLY Canadian Model X clients were disappointed (No response from Tesla!!!) as there was a 4.2% price drop on March 25, Tesla sent out email on April 20th that there were adjusting the price for all clients across the board in Canada in order to honor the lowered price for early orders! which was really great news. IMO Tesla is trying to be as fair priced as possible . CAD 1,050 is the price for Matte obeche right now but some got it free and those who ordered dark ash wood had paid for it, its free now. In the big picture for Tesla everything balances out..unfortunately for customers, some gain &..some loose..I can understand your feelings.

Interestingly enough, this issue of the Dark Ash Wood decor becoming standard and the impact on price was brought up in this thread.

Ultimately, Tesla agreed to change to the new lower pricing with the $500 change fee, which while I'm sure is not ideal from your point of view, saving $250 is better than nothing.

Now, should Tesla be giving everyone who had previously configured, but not yet received, their X with Dark Ash decor on the new pricing without the change fee, I personally think so. Contractually, however, I don't believe they're under any obligation to do so.

I'm not trying to be a jerk but this is how tesla does things. many of us have similar stories. unfortunately unlike many other businesses tesla will not price match themselves.

Yep! Similar stories are abundant... I have compassion for the guy more than most here though... This forum is a pretty tuff crowd if I do say so myself.

The good news is this car mends a broken heart pretty fast :)

Reactions: Cloc
Tesla's constantly evolving feature set means that at any point in time, this could affect almost every buyer. We confirmed our S order shortly before the fabric headliner was discontinued and an option that had been $1,000 became the standard. Our S was also built within a week or so of when 4G became standard, so we just missed out on that, too.

We purchased the car knowing that features could and would change regularly. I was OK with that at the time I placed the order, when I confirmed the order, when we picked up the car, and today -- nearly 11 months later.
Thank for sharing. Understanding is one thing. Right or wrong is another. In your case, I don't think they did the right thing.

Your goal is to get a better build model x rather than saving the $750. It's true some buyers will be affect in some stages of the process where Tesla is doing upgrades, but non of those upgrades really matter if you initial build quality is poor. So If i were you, I will be glad that your car will have much better build quality than cars released in March. This saved you lots of trips back and forth with the SC, and this is what $750 can't buy. Good luck!

@WilliamZ,
Sorry you won't get any sympathy here. These posters are saying, because Tesla behaved similarly with them, what they did to you must be okay too. By that reasoning, anyone doing wrong will be right because he has always been doing wrong.

This is a problem with the "continuous" change Tesla so advocates. In this case, it sounds more unfair because your car is not even produced, rest aside its delivery. Had you received your car by now, you probably would have looked at it differently. But I agree with you, Tesla should have voluntarily waived that, to compensate for the delay in delivering your car.

Your goal is to get a better build model x rather than saving the $750. It's true some buyers will be affect in some stages of the process where Tesla is doing upgrades, but non of those upgrades really matter if you initial build quality is poor. So If i were you, I will be glad that your car will have much better build quality than cars released in March. This saved you lots of trips back and forth with the SC, and this is what $750 can't buy. Good luck!
Thank you! Same to you!