Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Harvey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is his neighborhood Sienna Plantation? I'm next to it and the Brazos is my concern. My neighborhood was added to the voluntary evacuation zone this afternoon, but no way to get out.

I saw Sienna Plantation on the map, that's a little SE of him. He's about 1/2 mile SE of Brazos landing park. The levee at the river is basically in his backyard. If the levee fails or the water goes over the top, there is nothing left to stop the water.

His wife put everything of value in ziplock bags and put them in the attic and she is staying with some friends a bit further back from the river.

Our thoughts and prayers are with all our Texas neighbors. Living up in OKC and having worked in the energy industry for a few years, I have a lot of friends down in the area who have been impacted in one way or another.

Columbus supercharger is now listed as temporary closure on the navigation.

No shock there, but good to see Tesla being responsive. What about the Channelview one?

ED: After having seen the scale of the flooding now occurring in east Texas / western Louisiana, now I'm starting to get concerned about the Lake Charles one too :Þ Too close to the water for comfort. Looks like the gauges in the area are expected to peak at "moderate" to "major" flooding.

I assume Tesla designed their stations to at least withstand "moderate" flooding. Still, though...

sputnik55.png

Last edited:
Slightly OT - I really wish Tesla would make that status info available on the tesla.com/findus page so we don't have to sit in the car to see Supercharger status. They obviously have the info, how hard could it be to make it available on a Web page?
Yes. Or at least in the app. I'm guessing they don't want people scraping the info and speculating on it.

I looked at the nav screen this evening and all of the Superchargers in the area appear to be available. Flatonia, Victoria, Columbus, Three Rivers, North Houston, and Channelview are all showing available. Channelview even appeared to have some stalls in use. Which is surprising since as I understand it we were pretty sure that one at least was underwater a couple of days ago.

I looked at the nav screen this evening and all of the Superchargers in the area appear to be available. Flatonia, Victoria, Columbus, Three Rivers, North Houston, and Channelview are all showing available. Channelview even appeared to have some stalls in use. Which is surprising since as I understand it we were pretty sure that one at least was underwater a couple of days ago.

We know the hotel that it's attached to had water in it, at least according to the video posted on Twitter. And pictures from outside show it as not being elevated. So unless Tesla's waterproofing is awesome, allowing the pedestals to be submerged and the cabinets to go under up to their vents, I do have trouble reconciling that. But I'd certainly be glad to know that they were spared, if so :)

Last edited:
Okay - because the hotel in Channelview was flooding, I just assumed it was the same situation in Victoria.

They're located about 150 miles (240 kilometers) from each other.

The eye of the storm came in over Rockport, headed inland and got stuck near Victoria for days before being pushed back into the Gulf (which is very unusual, normally a hurricane will continue inland and be out of the area in less than a day - the extended stay is why the flooding is so bad and caught everybody off guard). The eye of the storm is where the most wind damage occurs, further out the wind speed drops.

In the Gulf coast the North (if it hits south Texas), North-East (Houston area) and East sides (Beaumont Texas on over to the Florida panhandle) of a hurricane are where the flooding occurs due to the heavy rainfall caused by the counterclockwise spin of the storm picking up moisture from the Gulf and dropping it over land. Colloquially this is known as the "dirty side", while land on the other side of the eye is known as the "clean side".