Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has any P3D+ owner installed Tsportline 20" M3115 forged wheels? Were there differences on range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Was wondering ways to increase range on my P3D+, one thing some racer told me is to lower weight of wheels, but I asked 10lbs per wheel will affect? He said the centripetal force will be lower. But then someone here said depends on wheel size etc vs tire size etc.

So in practical way, is there anyone that installed any forged wheels, dropping the weight of tesla original 20" sport wheels, can tell me their experience with the range?

Link of wheel: 20

I know, it doesn't matter if we can charge 1000 mi/hr... but still I am wondering...

Thanks
-Dan

Don't expect any measurable range increase with lighter wheels (edit: at highway speeds.) Far more important will be their spoke design and how much air is let through. Lighter wheels could easily result in lower range due to increase drag, if they (and the tires) are wider, larger in diameter, or open spoke design.

Last edited:
Reactions: wenkan and Dan_LA
I partially disagree with the above post. Lighter wheels absolutely increase efficiency at lower speeds (i.e. driving around town) due to lower inertia. I saved a total of 20.2lbs of rotating mass with my aftermarket 19" wheels and my wh/mi around town is noticeably less than stock, even with wider rubber. At high speeds however, weight is mostly negligible (as mentioned above) since it is almost entirely aero drag and rolling resistance at that point.

Best way to increase range is driving style. Spending thousands on wheels to increase range 1-5% doesn't make sense in most cases.

I partially disagree with the above post. Lighter wheels absolutely increase efficiency at lower speeds (i.e. driving around town) due to the lower inertia. I saved a total of 20.2lbs of rotating mass with my aftermarket 19" wheels and my wh/mi around town is noticeably less than stock, even with wider rubber. High speeds however, weight is mostly negligible as said above, since it is almost entirely aero drag and rolling resistance at that point.

Best way to increase range is driving style. Spending thousands on wheels to increase range 1-5% doesn't make sense in most cases.
I agree. At slower speeds, lighter wheels can have a measurable increase in range.

• Love
Reactions: DrZoidberg