TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Has Any P3D+ Owners Gotten Carbon Fiber Spoiler?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Zoglog, Dec 9, 2018.

1. DJung

DJung Member

Sure, will do. They haven't contacted me yet though. Good timing I guess, I'm having an issue with a side mirror that won't fold either.

Here's the spoiler issue I have:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TANGO SUKKA

TANGO SUKKA Member

^ that looks terrible =\

3. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

Apparently if Elon was tasked with dropping a drone from outer space that could grab a spoiler on the way down from moving aircraft, fly to and install perfectly on our Model 3's travelling at highway speeds it would be a piece of cake?

[​IMG]

• Funny x 1
  4. Lifeinabox

Lifeinabox Member

Hard to tell the extent of it with the closeup but yours looks worse than mine. I'd say mine is detached by a half inch and looking at it there doesn't appear to be an adhesive in that half inch. So perhaps it is by design.

5. BulldogsRus

BulldogsRus Member

Tesla fit/finish in a nutshell = "just good enough"

• Like x 1
  6. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Active Member

It's going to be a huge embarrassment if the spoilers wind up being done incorrectly.

7. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Active Member

Agreed. When I take my car in, I will nicely inform them that I will not accept a hack job, and that I will only accept a properly installed spoiler.

8. Lifeinabox

Lifeinabox Member

I'd also add that the S is a far better design as it overlaps the trunk lid and provides more surface area for adhesion. Still looks slim. Don't know why they didn't replicate the design.

9. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

Why'd they build the Model X aka the Faberge egg?

"Exercise in hubris" - Elon Musk

10. Skione65

Skione65 Member

These photos are just horrendous. Absolutely unacceptable. For what I spent on this car that is insanely substandard.
    No way is something that looks that horrible going on my car in that condition. How is that even close to acceptable?
    What an embarrassment. I thought the delay was due to ‘reworking’ the sh&[email protected] fitting spoiler to begin with.
    I’m speechless.

Ski

11. Skione65

Skione65 Member

@SD_Engnr,

Good luck with that. Based on the photos I’m not optimistic unless something changes. How many times are you willing to have your Spoiler reworked, removed and reattached multiple times after it keeps ‘flapping its wings’?

Ski

12. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Active Member

Absolutely zero times. I will show them pictures from this thread, and explain very nicely that I won't accept it installed as shown here. They can either ensure that it goes on perfectly, or let me take it home and I'll sell it, and buy an aftermarket one that will fit.

• Like x 1
  13. UngaBunga1989

UngaBunga1989 Member

I had grown to love my M3P exactly as is, sans spoiler and had already resigned myself to storing my spoiler next to my badge for the “next owner.” The photos of these terrible installs make me even more certain of my decision.

• Like x 1
  14. Daniel F

Daniel F Member

Mine just has the small gap at the top - it's flush at the bottom. This looks pretty bad -- and I'd imagine airflow there at high speed could force it off.

15. NewTMSMan

NewTMSMan Member

Just curious if those that have had it installed and have gaps now have any ceramic or other coating on their paint?

• Like x 1
  16. JG T3SLA

JG T3SLA Member

Wonder if the relatively cold weather has any impact on these installs? If installed during production assume they would have been in a temperature controlled environment long enough for tape to fully settle.

17. al503

al503 Member

The tape should just keep the spoiler attached to the trunk lid. It's not designed nor strong enough for any real tension to compensate for mismatched surfaces/poor fit/design flaws/etc.

18. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

So we should know immediately if it will fit or not just by resting the spoiler on the trunk. If any gap, the tape won't help so no reason to proceed. Or maybe ask mobile tech to bring more than one.

19. al503

al503 Member

IMO, yes. It should fit flush with no gaps, etc. You might get away with a very slight gap/misalignment if the spoiler has enough give/flexibility but anything more than that and I think you'll be disappointed.

20. Tamah

Tamah New Member

I took delivery in November, so we have had it for a few months. We did call asking about timing of spoiler and badge and they said it was in so we scheduled service to have it installed. Keep checking back with them.
    mymodel3.jpg

• Love x 1