Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Any P3D+ Owners Gotten Carbon Fiber Spoiler?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That definitely seems excessive :(
I had a mobile appointment set up for next Monday 6/24 to address my front passenger window clipping the chrome trim when opening the door, added spoiler problem to the appointment a few days ago too. Haven't heard anything from the service guys, so not sure if they will bring another spoiler or not. Will keep the thread updated.

• Informative
Reactions: CrazyCoconut
Is that 2nd pic after and 3rd pic before? Or are you pulling it away in that pic? The third pic doesn’t look bad.
Here's some better pics. On the top side it doesn't look too bad. On the bottom though you can see how it's pulled away on the passenger side. Also got a pic underneath the driver side for comparison.
IMG_20190620_104854.jpg
IMG_20190620_104846.jpg
IMG_20190620_104836.jpg
IMG_20190620_104823.jpg
IMG_20190620_104815.jpg
IMG_20190620_104806.jpg

With all these fitting issues and a wide variance in results, I'm starting to wonder if
a) the machine that makes the spoilers has a terrible tolerance factor, or
b) the material the spoilers are made from warps easily with temperature/humidity/transport/etc.
or worst of all...
c) the mold from which the M3 trunks are made from has a terrible tolerance...

Are they heating the tape before installing? Cause that 3M tape should stick like crazy. If it pre-fits, I'm just at a loss on why it doesn't fit afterward, except that the installer maybe isn't doing something right. I ordered an OEM spoiler off eBay, and was worried that it wouldn't fit, given how many spoilers the installers seem to try, but it fit perfectly. I did notice that after heating the tape, (it starts to wrinkle) it stuck like crazy, and you had to get the placement perfect, and then really use your whole bodyweight to make sure it's sticking on topside and on bottom side so that there are no gaps.

If it pre-fits, I'm just at a loss on why it doesn't fit afterward,

This is what I observed on my Mobile Service visit: The 7 or so spoilers that Mobile Service pre-fit on my trunk lid did not fit correctly. Visible air gaps were noticeable on every one, with some a lot worse than others. Some gaps were so big, two nickels could easily fall between the gaps.

This is what I was told by the Mobile Service Tech: Forcing an improperly fitting carbon fiber spoiler to conform to the trunk lid is only temporary and it will eventually lift....The other issue is, there is no documentation of batch numbers on the spoiler or the packaging. They can't tell if the spoilers they are getting are old or new production batches.

I'm back in the waiting queue for the next batch of spoilers to arrive. I did get my Dual Motor badge though..which I didn't have installed.

This is what I observed on my Mobile Service visit: The 7 or so spoilers that Mobile Service pre-fit on my trunk lid did not fit correctly. Visible air gaps were noticeable on every one, with some a lot worse than others. Some gaps were so big, two nickels could easily fall between the gaps.

This is what I was told by the Mobile Service Tech: Forcing an improperly fitting carbon fiber spoiler to conform to the trunk lid is only temporary and it will eventually lift....The other issue is, there is no documentation of batch numbers on the spoiler or the packaging. They can't tell if the spoilers they are getting are old or new production batches.

I'm back in the waiting queue for the next batch of spoilers to arrive. I did get my Dual Motor badge though..which I didn't have installed.
Interesting. Tesla needs a new supplier. Carbon fiber is put into a mold, then autoclaved. It should be near-perfect. The only other half is the stamped trunk, but that can't be out of shape. It's formed under tons of pressure. I'm stumped.

I have gone thru 4 different spoilers with various degree of success. Either they just don’t fit well at all due to manufacture issues, or the edges lift up after a while. It is at this point that I have decided to re-install one of the best fitment spoiler using BMW betalink instead of M3 VHB tape. This is an epoxy like stuff that BMW recommends for installing their OEM Carbon Fiber spoiler and it has very strong holding power.

D3124DFD-1379-4643-9D78-B135BA42313C.jpeg 994B4C3F-5CC4-4583-8F97-D3F39607C823.jpeg

The end result is perfect. No more lift edges as the spoiler is pretty much glued tightly into the spoiler.

CC3114B9-2219-4C16-B108-6D0FE878EAB9.jpeg C77C3D75-F9C1-4FE9-9D1B-D5B75C81097F.jpeg

I have gone thru 4 different spoilers with various degree of success. Either they just don’t fit well at all due to manufacture issues, or the edges lift up after a while. It is at this point that I have decided to re-install one of the best fitment spoiler using BMW betalink instead of M3 VHB tape. This is an epoxy like stuff that BMW recommends for installing their OEM Carbon Fiber spoiler and it has very strong holding power.

View attachment 421840 View attachment 421841

The end result is perfect. No more lift edges as the spoiler is pretty much glued tightly into the spoiler.

View attachment 421839 View attachment 421838
How difficult is this stuff to remove?

I had a mobile appointment set up for next Monday 6/24 to address my front passenger window clipping the chrome trim when opening the door, added spoiler problem to the appointment a few days ago too. Haven't heard anything from the service guys, so not sure if they will bring another spoiler or not. Will keep the thread updated.

No spoiler on my mobile service appointment today. The guy who came looked at it and said it wasn't positioned correctly when installed, and he would order me another one.