Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Any P3D+ Owners Gotten Carbon Fiber Spoiler?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone said his work order showed ‘Prototype’ on the Spoiler listing .....what’s up with that? But then again looking at the “roof rack gate” debacle I’m not to confident.
Ski

675D6AAF-CAE6-4D68-9DED-74727CE9B0F4.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Skione65
I understand yet it’s only an opinion in your area or in my area. I have been to maybe 9 TESLA SC in FL, NC, Cali, NY, and Washington state, and haven’t encountered that as you say. What says the community in their areas!? Surely , California is enthusiast central!

I've only been to one Tesla showroom and one Tesla Delivery/Service Center. neither of our Model 3's have needed a lick of service since new. I did have the Service Center install some winter tires and they did it in about 30 minutes and for a price about the same as Les Schwab Tires. But they were much more enthused, careful and skilled than any experience I've had at Les Schwab which consists mostly of disasters ranging from minor to major disasters.

I've had experiences with about 6 Seattle area Tesla employees and all were courteous and enthusiastic about Tesla's. They do the job because they find it more meaningful to do something they believe in rather than working at a regular car dealership or tire store. If it weren't for that, I don't know how Tesla could hire the quality people they need (at least without paying more than they can afford) because pretty much anyone employable who wants a job around here already has one. The real unemployment rate is about as close to zero as it gets and has been for a couple of years.

I did mine myself with no jig. Center section is pretty flush to the trunk lid, and the edges come up slightly, but overall I’m quite happy with it compared to some of the pictures I’ve seen.

My left side is the best compared to the right, but you can see when you look closely that the molding on the left is much better compared to the finishing on the right due to manufacturing tolerances and the way the ends were finished.

I think I could have gotten the edges to be a bit more flush, but I tried to be clever doing my install with only removing the tape protector on the center section (its in 3 strips), and then trying to peel the outer two once in place. This backfired a bit as I had forgotten to pre-peel the first bit of protection away, and struggled to then get it started. I had to improvise a bit by trying to pull it off slightly and then use some tweezers to pull enough protection away before I could then pull the rest by hand. There is not much give in it due to the shape and also the fact its carbon fiber.

All in all, it took me about 15 mins single handed. I think with doing a couple more as practice, it would be possible to get at least the top surface always flush. Don't think the horizontal surface can ever be 100% flush since the tape is quite thick. I wouldn't be as worried about this though as its more difficult to see.

All in all, it took me about 15 mins single handed. I think with doing a couple more as practice, it would be possible to get at least the top surface always flush. Don't think the horizontal surface can ever be 100% flush since the tape is quite thick. I wouldn't be as worried about this though as its more difficult to see.

I don't get this statement. You say the top surface is always flush, but then you say the horizontal service can never be 100% flush. Im confused. Does yours have a gap between the trunk and the top of the spoiler?

If there is a gap from the top (like with mine) won't water get back there and wear away the adhesive? (not to mention the absurd dust buildup)

Last edited:
Mobile service is coming back out. Guy sent picture of the install and he wasn’t happy with the fit, so he took it off and is scheduling another visit. Spoiler was barely lifting up on the right side (see pic). He mentioned that out of the five he installed today two had this same issue.

48274460-646C-4B91-8E57-8581FF6E73EF.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Skione65
Mobile service is coming back out. Guy sent picture of the install and he wasn’t happy with the fit, so he took it off and is scheduling another visit. Spoiler was barely lifting up on the right side (see pic). He mentioned that out of the five he installed today two had this same issue.

View attachment 380835

@JG T3SLA,

The Mobile Tech made that decision or you? Impressive if he made that decision on his own...(wonder if that was directed by Tesla)....if so, shows that Tesla may finally be taking ownership of this issue some what and I may be gaining some faith that my install when it does happen may actually be successful.

Ski

@JG T3SLA,

The Mobile Tech made that decision or you? Impressive if he made that decision on his own...(wonder if that was directed by Tesla)....if so, shows that Tesla may finally be taking ownership of this issue some what and I may be gaining some faith that my install when it does happen may actually be successful.

Ski

I wasn’t present during the install so that might have been a factor. He definitely didn’t give me an option to keep the spoiler like that. When he called he said he would leave it on if I really wanted, but it was already noted in their system that it needed to be replaced. Waiting on mobile service to call with times for the second trip out. Badge went on well though.

86C85CF2-EC37-4F48-8F6C-A81F7CC0EBBC.jpeg

Reactions: aspec818

View attachment 380835

what is the texture of the spoiler surface?
smooth glossy carbon or irregular (feel carbon) matte?

I don't get this statement. You say the top surface is always flush, but then you say the horizontal service can never be 100% flush. Im confused. Does yours have a gap between the trunk and the top of the spoiler?
My bad, I meant the vertical surface can never be 100% flush. Thats what you get when you post on forums when you should've been long asleep :)