Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Any P3D+ Owners Gotten Carbon Fiber Spoiler?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my spoiler installed in San Diego on the 27'th. They had a bunch in a stack waiting for scheduled P3D+ owners to show up.

They went through a few before I had one that fit. First one they sat on the trunk to check alignment and were like "Nope, does not fit", so they returned it to the stack. Next one, they sat on bumper between the guides and they liked the fit. Oddly enough, they did not clean the trunk or wipe it with anything. They pulled the tape and attached it, and were like "ok, you're done". I took a quick look and the left side end had already pulled away from the tape with a huge gap... I asked if that was normal and they said "Another one pulled up", someone else said "It already pulled up? that was fast!". so they set about removing the spoiler by yanking on it. Then tossed it in a box with other spent ones. Pulled another new one out of the box and it appears to fit properly. Pulled the tape and seems to fit. So 3'rd times the charm.

Double and triple check before you drive away.
I was also there at the San Diego service center on the 27th to get my spoiler installed. So far everything looks fine. Hopefully I got one of the revised ones. On my way out I did notice this beautiful wrapped Model 3. Does this belong to anyone here? :)

bluetesla.JPG

My first one was about half that bad before I got it replaced; now it's effectively perfect. I don't think it's "pulling up" at all; I think that's what the installers are telling themselves. I think they are getting the Y axis placement correct with the jig, but then being imprecise on the Z axis.

Open to correction if anybody confirms movement after firm placement.
i believe this is the case. The installers aren't precise enough on the corner placements and if the spoiler is just ever so slightly off center, it will "lift". my driver corner had a gap immediately after they stuck the spoiler on. It looks like it was seated too high in the lid.

Anybody who took delivery in late 2018 already get their spoiler and badge. Tesla keeps telling me I'll get an email from them, but I know for a fact people who took delivery after me in Rocklin, CA have already gotten theirs. The Porsche Taycan is looking better to me everyday....
False. Nobody in the Midwest has received one as far as I can tell.

August 17th delivery. Tesla is really pissing me off with prioritizing CA and East Coast for this. Ridiculous. I tolerated the delays but people who received their car just a few months ago getting their spoilers when I have not is really pissing me off.

If I ever receive an incomplete product from Tesla again I will refuse delivery.

Last edited:
One of the first steps was for one of them to key in my VIN in his laptop -- when he announced "yup!" I asked if they'd been getting impostors -- they both laughed and he said "no, I'm updating the car avatar". Sure enough, in the iPhone app I now have a black spoiler visible on the trunk.

Sounds like my experience - similar setup with a tent and a bunch of Tesla mobile service cars and techs. Pretty much identical process. They were done within a few minutes. I was wondering if I was seeing things or if I had the spoiler on my car avatar before :eek:

They did a test fit and seems like the first spoiler fit well. Haven't seen any lifting.

False. Nobody in the Midwest has received one as far as I can tell.

August 17th delivery. Tesla is really pissing me off with prioritizing CA and East Coast for this. Ridiculous. I tolerated the delays but people who received their car just a few months ago getting their spoilers when I have not is really pissing me off.

If I ever receive an incomplete product from Tesla again I will refuse delivery.
To be fair, they seem to be making their way to TX. I've seen installs in Austin, Dallas, and Houston.

Last Friday, about a week after my delivery, I called to ask if I was on a list or did I have to schedule delivery of my spoiler. They checked and said a shipment of new spoilers had just arrived at the Rocklin SC and they would transfer me to mobile services to have someone stop by and install. Great, I thought. This morning the tech arrived with 6 foam wrapped, brand new spoilers which he said they had just received. Why 6? So he could find out if any of them would work? Yikes! Out of the 6, only one was a decent fit for me to give it a shot. He indicated the problems were the curvature not being correct, leaving a small gap off one, or both sides. I asked if he knew who made them. He only knew Tesla did not, a 3rd party did. So the issue I see is the spoilers sort of sit "around" the rear end and not ON it, like my Model S spoiler does. This creates a real fit issue that I doubt will ever be fixed unless they redesign the spoiler to fit on top, as some eBay 3rd party sellers appear to be. Looks fine, but can't wait for very hot, or very cold weather to change everything.
IMG_20190429_132111-1.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: is2scooby and jkoya
Did they install it with the jig?

Not sure, they showed up two hours early so I remotely opened my garage and told him to get started. When I got home he was wrapping up. I kind of expected this based on the reports, and while it sucks, I do like the look and it's not obvious to the casual look. I will wait until Tesla completely sorts it out and then request a new one. I will contact Tesla with the pictures and at least make sure they notate my file as I think mine is one of the worst I've seen.

Last Friday, about a week after my delivery, I called to ask if I was on a list or did I have to schedule delivery of my spoiler. They checked and said a shipment of new spoilers had just arrived at the Rocklin SC and they would transfer me to mobile services to have someone stop by and install. Great, I thought. This morning the tech arrived with 6 foam wrapped, brand new spoilers which he said they had just received. Why 6? So he could find out if any of them would work? Yikes! Out of the 6, only one was a decent fit for me to give it a shot. He indicated the problems were the curvature not being correct, leaving a small gap off one, or both sides. I asked if he knew who made them. He only knew Tesla did not, a 3rd party did. So the issue I see is the spoilers sort of sit "around" the rear end and not ON it, like my Model S spoiler does. This creates a real fit issue that I doubt will ever be fixed unless they redesign the spoiler to fit on top, as some eBay 3rd party sellers appear to be. Looks fine, but can't wait for very hot, or very cold weather to change everything.
View attachment 402250

It is still rather bullshit that you got delivery a week ago but lots of people who took delivery back in August and September still dont have it

View attachment 402250
Looks Great!

I think people are going to have to pester Tesla about it to see results. They don't seem to be contacting people themselves.
I was proactively contacted by mobile service. They sent me a text letting me know my spoiler had been ordered (with no input from me), then another about 2 weeks later when it had been received and inspected directing me to set up an appointment (it's this Friday 5/3).

Seems to vary a lot depending on region....much like the regular service centers.

I was proactively contacted by mobile service. They sent me a text letting me know my spoiler had been ordered (with no input from me), then another about 2 weeks later when it had been received and inspected directing me to set up an appointment (it's this Friday 5/3).

Seems to vary a lot depending on region....much like the regular service centers.
Well that’s kinda good news for all those waiting.