Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Any P3D+ Owners Gotten Carbon Fiber Spoiler?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine is definitely lifting a little at each edge, but it’s not so bad. I had mine installed by the firm that did my wrap.

2427EE18-AF06-475E-96F2-E9E2B372AA56.jpeg B6FB3BD1-47F7-402E-8953-EC8B9F9620EF.jpeg

Reactions: Jaywlker
Mine was installed by Tesla mobile. Came out great, no issues at all and has stayed that way. I doubt if I am the only one. It's the only carbon Fiber on the car. Think I would have preferred chrome but it looks good.
Mine was done by Mobile as well. It’s been several months, and it’s not perfect, but close. One side very slightly lifted, but not very noticeable at all.

Reactions: DeanP
Mine is lifting on both ends. It triggered my OCD for the first month or so but now I really don’t care. Nobody else notices it so I’ll just leave it for now. I’ll probably go aftermarket in the future anyway.

be careful. They can fly off completely- then you have to buy a new one. If it is coming off- just take it off; pull off the double sided tape and put new double sided tape on.
taking the tape off is a pain- you are forewarned

5 month update. Still have that 1mm play on the passenger side corner...where I can compress it against the trunk. Its not getting worse so far. It’s weird. it’s as if the double sided tape stretched...and that’s what is compressing. I know both sides of the tape are still fully adhered to the trunk and spoiler...because when I’m shooting my pressure washer up from the bottom of the spoiler, water doesn’t come out the top...and when blowing air under/on top of the spoiler after washing the car...,water doesn’t come out the other side. Here’s how it looks now.

View attachment 470995

Update on mine that was installed Memorial Day last year. Happy to report no change from what I posted above.

be careful. They can fly off completely- then you have to buy a new one. If it is coming off- just take it off; pull off the double sided tape and put new double sided tape on.
taking the tape off is a pain- you are forewarned
Has this happened to anyone? I've taken the tape off 100% and it took me about two hours start-to-finish. The stuff is insane.

So my spoiler is being replaced for the second time this week. It keeps peeling off on the edges.
Stopped by my local SC today - looked at a brand-new PYD spoiler... it was lifting at the edges. lol.

Does anyone have any suggestions on re-taping?

I bought a used one with no tape on it, I put some double sided tape on it, but I guess I used too much, or the tape was too thick, and it didn't sit flush on the trunk lid, so I removed it. I haven't taken the tape off yet, I'm not looking forward to that, but what have people done when putting new tape on and what'd worked well?

Short of bolting it down, I don't think it can be fixed. Maybe if you "hollow out" the back by sanding or something, but I have no idea how that works with CF.

The fact of the matter is that this is carbon fiber... it doesn't give a *sugar*. It was invented to be as light and as strong as humanly possible - once its shape is set, that's it. I have my old iffy spoiler from my P3D sitting next to me, and no amount of bending force I can apply w/ my bare hands even causes it to warp. Any adhesive we can get over-the-counter probably ain't gonna cut it... it might work, initially, but like I said, CF is insanely stiff and will want to return to its shape. Add a few cycles of 100º days and it's back to square one.

It’s not a matter of anyone doing it right - it’s simply that the spoilers are jacked-up from whatever factory is cranking them out in Mexico or China. A 10 year old can install it perfectly if it’s shaped correctly - there’s really no rocket science behind it. You just align it, peel the tape, stick it on. All the bullshit you see on YouTube on “installing it properly” is just that. There’s no special procedure - the problem is the quality control. Like all things Tesla.