Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has any replaced the York wheel does it void any warranties?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, Has anyone replaced their york wheel with a regular steering wheel? Does it void any warranties? Thank you.

But wouldn't it be a safety thing, if I am not comfortable with the york?

Are you arguing that, if you replace your steering wheel with an aftermarket steering wheel, then have an issue with something in the steering column that you will be able to tell tesla "I only replaced the steering wheel for a safety concern, so you still need to cover things with the steering wheel under warranty"?

No, it will not work like that. Replacing your steering wheel with an aftermarket part will invalidate the warranty on things connected to the steering wheel, but not things not connected. No amount of "I did it for a safety concern" is going to matter in relation to something connected to the steering wheel being covered under warranty or not.

Reactions: Epradox
Are you arguing that, if you replace your steering wheel with an aftermarket steering wheel, then have an issue with something in the steering column that you will be able to tell tesla "I only replaced the steering wheel for a safety concern, so you still need to cover things with the steering wheel under warranty"?

No, it will not work like that. Replacing your steering wheel with an aftermarket part will invalidate the warranty on things connected to the steering wheel, but not things not connected. No amount of "I did it for a safety concern" is going to matter in relation to something connected to the steering wheel being covered under warranty or not.
ah thank you. I was thinking it would void the whole car warranty.

I replaced my Model Y steering wheel and most of the exterior lights (except headlights), took it to the service center for an unrelated issue, the technicians were all complementing how nice they look and that it will not void the warranty but that they will not cover them under warranty if something goes wrong with them. Just like any other aftermarket accessories.

Attachments

• 20230106_170251.jpg
    20230106_170251.jpg
    392 KB · Views: 265
  • 20230106_192521.jpg
    20230106_192521.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 193
  • 20230106_192558.jpg
    20230106_192558.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 182
Not an issue at all. It is illegal for Tesla to void the warranty for anything without proving the modification that you made caused the problem. Note that the burden is on them to prove you broke it vs being on you to prove that you didn't.

For example, if your turn signals quit working and you take it to Tesla. They open up the wheel and see that you crushed some pins when you swapped the yoke/wheel. They can show you the bent pins and then that's on you. But if there isn't any damage from the swap, Tesla needs to fix it on their dime.

Reactions: RayzorEV