TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Has any S been driven to shutdown? (other than Broder's)

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by bluetinc, Feb 14, 2013.

1. bluetinc

bluetinc Member

All,

I'm very curious; I don't know of any Model S that has been driven to the point where it shuts down other than Mr. Broder's example. Does that make him the only "customer" in the world that has needed to be flatbeded because they drove the car until it stopped itself?

It would be kind of nice to start my discussions on the whole NYT article with, "Well, so far, Mr Broder is the only person in the world that has managed to run the Model S until it had to be flatbeded.".

Peter

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

He may be the first who intentionally did that. At least one other person had to get towed early on from a 12V battery issue? I think.

3. Alfafoxtrot1

Alfafoxtrot1 Member

Based on Elon's post, it doesn't appear that Broder's car was empty.

4. sayidreddy

sayidreddy Member

Well I think dmetcalf did drive his battery all the way down down to zero when he did his 400+ range trip. (Although there may have beem someenergy elft in the car) I know that he did did a flatbed to tow his car, but this hardly counts.

5. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

He did not drive his battery all the way down. He simply told the tow truck driver to meet him somewhere and he waited for him. He said that he likely could have got another 25-50 miles out of it if he kept driving.

6. arremgee

arremgee Member

I've gotten into my car when it was reading 0 miles and driven six miles home without it shutting down.

7. Cattledog

Cattledog Active Member

This is a great question. I bet Tesla has 10,000,000 miles on Model S' in the first six months, and it's likely Broder is the first one to manage to pull this off. He must have talents the rest of us lack...

8. Psullivan

Psullivan Member

I did drive mine to 0 on my second day of owning it with no warnings of shutting down. That was in November with older software coming home from the factory. (Thanks for the charge Lloyd. You saved the day). It did freak us out a bit but the car was still going.

9. bluetinc

bluetinc Member

Thanks for the replies guys,

I'd still love to hear if someone has had this happen also, but for now it sounds like I am safe starting these conversations out with:

Well, first realize that there are about 5000 of these cars put on the out so far, and he is the first person who's managed to run the car till he had to be towed.

I think that sets the right tone for the rest of the conversation :)

Peter

10. Andrew Wolfe

Andrew Wolfe Roadster 472 - S 440

I've been towed - but with 75% charge left. Car was "mostly dead." Doors and trunk worked. Hazards worked. No screens or motor. Unknown failure - probably a connector that came loose.

11. SigGuy

SigGuy Member

My buddy drove his to shut down last week. But it was 100% his fault and he knows this. What he found (and this is the sort of information that is either really good to know or really bad to know) is that he was able to go about another 15 miles or so past when his range read "0". But when it shut down it was completely down. Flatbed tow home.

12. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

This is now know as "brodering" one's car.

13. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

Haha!

14. K Hall

K Hall Member

+1 Good humor Mr. Knox

15. BriansTesla

BriansTesla Old school meets new tech

This is perfect, a new word in the electric vehicle lexicon, as in "He brodered his Leaf last week".

16. briwin

briwin New Member

17. bluetinc

bluetinc Member

Do you happen to know if he also had the same issues with the parking break lock on?

18. mcornwell

mcornwell Active Member

Me thinks this needs to be added to the Wiki...

19. ddruz

ddruz Member

Just to clarify the definition: Does "brodering" only mean purposely driving your EV to shut down or does it also include inadvertently driving to shut down, such as if you are not paying attention or are clueless?

20. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

"accidental brodering"
    "intentional brodering"