Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has any S been driven to shutdown? (other than Broder's)

bluetinc

May 11, 2009
MD
All,

I'm very curious; I don't know of any Model S that has been driven to the point where it shuts down other than Mr. Broder's example. Does that make him the only "customer" in the world that has needed to be flatbeded because they drove the car until it stopped itself?

It would be kind of nice to start my discussions on the whole NYT article with, "Well, so far, Mr Broder is the only person in the world that has managed to run the Model S until it had to be flatbeded.".

Peter

dsm363

Roadster + Sig Model S
May 17, 2009
Nevada
He may be the first who intentionally did that. At least one other person had to get towed early on from a 12V battery issue? I think.

sayidreddy

Feb 1, 2013
Morgantown, WV
Well I think dmetcalf did drive his battery all the way down down to zero when he did his 400+ range trip. (Although there may have beem someenergy elft in the car) I know that he did did a flatbed to tow his car, but this hardly counts.

yobigd20

Oct 28, 2012
Skaneateles, NY
Well I think dmetcalf did drive his battery all the way down down to zero when he did his 400+ range trip. (Although there may have beem someenergy elft in the car) I know that he did did a flatbed to tow his car, but this hardly counts.

He did not drive his battery all the way down. He simply told the tow truck driver to meet him somewhere and he waited for him. He said that he likely could have got another 25-50 miles out of it if he kept driving.

Cattledog

Supporting Member
Feb 9, 2012
San Antonio, TX
This is a great question. I bet Tesla has 10,000,000 miles on Model S' in the first six months, and it's likely Broder is the first one to manage to pull this off. He must have talents the rest of us lack...

Psullivan

Sep 30, 2012
Carlsbad, CA
I did drive mine to 0 on my second day of owning it with no warnings of shutting down. That was in November with older software coming home from the factory. (Thanks for the charge Lloyd. You saved the day). It did freak us out a bit but the car was still going.

bluetinc

May 11, 2009
MD
Thanks for the replies guys,

I'd still love to hear if someone has had this happen also, but for now it sounds like I am safe starting these conversations out with:

Well, first realize that there are about 5000 of these cars put on the out so far, and he is the first person who's managed to run the car till he had to be towed.

I think that sets the right tone for the rest of the conversation :)

Peter

Andrew Wolfe

Roadster 472 - S 440
Jun 20, 2011
Los Gatos, CA
I've been towed - but with 75% charge left. Car was "mostly dead." Doors and trunk worked. Hazards worked. No screens or motor. Unknown failure - probably a connector that came loose.

SigGuy

Feb 15, 2012
Los Angeles
My buddy drove his to shut down last week. But it was 100% his fault and he knows this. What he found (and this is the sort of information that is either really good to know or really bad to know) is that he was able to go about another 15 miles or so past when his range read "0". But when it shut down it was completely down. Flatbed tow home.

mknox

Aug 7, 2012
Toronto, ON
My buddy drove his to shut down last week. But it was 100% his fault and he knows this. What he found (and this is the sort of information that is either really good to know or really bad to know) is that he was able to go about another 15 miles or so past when his range read "0". But when it shut down it was completely down. Flatbed tow home.

This is now know as "brodering" one's car.

bluetinc

May 11, 2009
MD
Do you happen to know if he also had the same issues with the parking break lock on?

ddruz

Mar 17, 2012
North Shore Oahu, HI
Just to clarify the definition: Does "brodering" only mean purposely driving your EV to shut down or does it also include inadvertently driving to shut down, such as if you are not paying attention or are clueless?

brianman

Burrito Founder
Nov 10, 2011
Just to clarify the definition: Does "brodering" only mean purposely driving your EV to shut down or does it also include inadvertently driving to shut down, such as if you are not paying attention or are clueless?
"accidental brodering"
"intentional brodering"

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC