Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anybody added FSD to an existing lease?

MrFusion

Feb 4, 2018
Salt Lake City
Just curious if Tesla allows you to add FSD to an existing lease and actually charges for it properly across the lease rather than just charging the full $6k/$7k as if you were adding it to a car you owned. I’m thinking that at some point I might want to try FSD, but certainly wouldn’t pay full price to add it to a car I have to turn in. I also wouldn’t want to add it a year into the lease but then have to cover the first 12 months of additional payments either. Seems like a tricky situation so I suspect it just isn’t allowed.

BZM3

Aug 15, 2019
Somewhere
I confirmed this with Tesla that they do not allow you to add it to the lease payments pro-rata. The only option right now is to purchase it outright at full cost, which of course makes zero sense for a lessee.

I'm not entirely sure why exactly this is the case, but I suspect it's related to how Tesla treats FSD sales as deferred income so can't amortize it on a lease after the fact.

I would just like to add as well that if we come across someone in this forum who did in fact add FSD to their existing lease, at full price, to please not take financial advise from this individual.

• Funny
Reactions: puppers

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
I confirmed this with Tesla that they do not allow you to add it to the lease payments pro-rata. The only option right now is to purchase it outright at full cost, which of course makes zero sense for a lessee.

I'm not entirely sure why exactly this is the case, but I suspect it's related to how Tesla treats FSD sales as deferred income so can't amortize it on a lease after the fact.

I would just like to add as well that if we come across someone in this forum who did in fact add FSD to their existing lease, at full price, to please not take financial advise from this individual.

This isnt just tesla....

If you are leasing (for example, a BMW which I am extremely familiar with as I have said before), the only things that can be "residualized" are things added at the factory / vehicle processing center. It must appear on the Monroney sticker to be residualized across the lease. NO "dealer installed accessories" may be residualized on a lease, they have to be paid for in full.

This is why if one is leasing a BMW and wants to add something like their "power and sound" kit (which is an exhaust and tune from the factory), it should be done on the original order. If the dealer adds it at the dealership, even if its before you take possession, it has to be paid for in full.

An executed lease is something already in place, so not only would you have to pay "full price" for it, you would have to pay "in cash, up front" for it, so not only would it not be residualized, it would have to be paid for, in full, not on payments.

If you had ordered FSD before you took delivery, it would have been residualized, and you would have only paid for a portion of it. It works like this for every MFR its not just tesla (saying this before people start saying "why does TESLA do something stupid like this!"

MrFusion

Feb 4, 2018
Salt Lake City
This isnt just tesla....

If you are leasing (for example, a BMW which I am extremely familiar with as I have said before), the only things that can be "residualized" are things added at the factory / vehicle processing center. It must appear on the Monroney sticker to be residualized across the lease. NO "dealer installed accessories" may be residualized on a lease, they have to be paid for in full.

This is why if one is leasing a BMW and wants to add something like their "power and sound" kit (which is an exhaust and tune from the factory), it should be done on the original order. If the dealer adds it at the dealership, even if its before you take possession, it has to be paid for in full.

An executed lease is something already in place, so not only would you have to pay "full price" for it, you would have to pay "in cash, up front" for it, so not only would it not be residualized, it would have to be paid for, in full, not on payments.

If you had ordered FSD before you took delivery, it would have been residualized, and you would have only paid for a portion of it. It works like this for every MFR its not just tesla (saying this before people start saying "why does TESLA do something stupid like this!"

I would argue that Tesla isn’t like other companies and that’s why I expect them to have a solution for this situation. Most companies can’t remotely enable new features the way Tesla can.

Also, since you aren’t allowed to buy the Model 3 at the end of the lease Tesla can easily just flip the switch and turn FSD off before selling the car if they really wanted to. It could be a charge for exactly the months you used but it doesn’t have to stay with the VIN forever since they are guaranteed to get the car back. They can charge the next person to turn on FSD if they want.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC