Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anybody bought a new Tesla in Nevada to take to another state?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
J

jbcarioca

I noticed that Nevada DMV does have a 15 day temporary transit plate fro cars bought in Nevada to go to another state. Sine California does not allow that, I am thinking of taking delivery in Las Vegas to drive to CA and then back to Florida for permanent registration. Has anybody else done such a thing? Does anybody know of any particular problems? My insurer does not car and will provide a certificate so long as I have a vlid VIN.

I haven't bought a Tesla in Nevada, but have bought other cars there and gotten the temporary "plate" to drive to AZ. I didn't have to pay Nevada taxes, but paid taxes on the car in AZ. I think, in your case, it would be up to Tesla to decide if they would accommodate such a request.

• Informative
Reactions: jbcarioca
I bought mine used in Nevada. I used the previous owner's license plate, but had all the paperwork including a bill of sale in the car with me. There's no taxes in Nevada when selling from one individual to another. When I got to Washington I had to declare the sales price and pay taxes on that. I got new Washington plates and then returned the places to the previous owner, as the plates there are attached to an individual and he could use them on his next car.

• Informative
Reactions: jbcarioca
While not directly related I bought a car from Washington, but since I had the VIN in advance I got an Oregon trip permit because it cost less than the one Washington would have sold me. I've also bought a car from Arizona and got the free temporary tags from them to drive the car around until I got the Oregon plates issued. So I have done it differently depending on which way costs less for me.

Will the Florida DMV give/sell you a trip permit rather than relying on the Nevada one? Not that I see any reason you couldn't just go with the Nevada one.

Does your location in Florida have a cheaper sales tax or something? What are you trying. accomplish? Nv gives you a 30 day moving permit
All I really want to do is pick up my car as close as possible to Fremont, then drive it back to Florida. Tax avoidance is not part of the equation for me, but I do not want to pay the CA tax penalty either.

Wonder if they will offer delivery in Sparks Nevada, at the Giga Factory.

Might work out well for some.

With heavy batteries and electric motors being shipped to Fremont for installation into cars, they will probably have lots of empty freight cars going back to Sparks.

All I really want to do is pick up my car as close as possible to Fremont, then drive it back to Florida. Tax avoidance is not part of the equation for me, but I do not want to pay the CA tax penalty either.
So you're going to drive the car from CA to Florida? Seems silly to put all those miles on the car. The delivery fee is the same whether you take it in Nevada, CA or Florida so let them hassle with getting it to Florida and save yourself the time and money

So you're going to drive the car from CA to Florida? Seems silly to put all those miles on the car. The delivery fee is the same whether you take it in Nevada, CA or Florida so let them hassle with getting it to Florida and save yourself the time and money
Like many Tesla owners I love to drive my car. I drove my present Tesla more than 25,000 miles in it's first 12 months with me, despite being in the US only four months during that year. The last time I drove across the US was fifty years ago, so I suspect there have been changes I'd like to see. Thus take delivery in the West, drive east.

Like many Tesla owners I love to drive my car. I drove my present Tesla more than 25,000 miles in it's first 12 months with me, despite being in the US only four months during that year. The last time I drove across the US was fifty years ago, so I suspect there have been changes I'd like to see. Thus take delivery in the West, drive east.
gotcha

Wonder if they will offer delivery in Sparks Nevada, at the Giga Factory.

Might work out well for some.

With heavy batteries and electric motors being shipped to Fremont for installation into cars, they will probably have lots of empty freight cars going back to Sparks.

It seems unlikely. There is no service center or support for retail there, and the gigafactory is in the middle of nowhere, unlike Fremont.