Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anybody installed roof racks on their Plaid/New LR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. Thinking about installing roof racks on my car but reading horror stories about the glass roof cracking when you attempt to install.
Anybody here try installing roof racks on their new S? Would love to see photos of your car and hear your story on the install process.

Thank you!

I just installed my rack earlier today, noticed two issues related to the front mounting points. First of all, the protective film they supplied were nicely concealed at the rear mounting points, but they stick out about an inch on the front. Seeing as I already have full-body PPF, I likely didn't even need to use the supplied film. Secondly, I used my bicycle torque wrench to torque to 3NM as recommended but the bolt started to protrude far enough that my allen key got pushed up so far that I couldn't continue tightening. Did anyone else experience this?

And my last minor gripe is the instructions say that the notch on the nut should align with the notch in the mount in order to lock the rack. But doing so could require tightening or loosening by up to 1/4 turn and that will affect tightening torque, hopefully by less than .5NM as that would push it out of spec.

Attachments

• roof rack.jpg
    roof rack.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 86