Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anybody mounted a Gen 3 Wall Connector inside their garage, and run the cable under the garage door for charging in the driveway?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our garage is our gym, so the MY will live in the driveway. If I get the wall connector mounted outdoors right next to the main breaker, the 24' cable will reach one side of the driveway just fine. But, if we decide to get a 2nd Tesla at some point, the other side of the driveway would be a bit of a stretch. If I mount it inside the garage, it would be just fine. But, I would have to run the cable under the garage door and shut the door on it. Has anybody done this without issue? Thanks!

I don't think it would be a big deal with the newer, thinner Gen3 cable, but if you really want, they make cable protectors. They either protect just the cable at that one spot, or extend all the way across the opening and have one channel for the cord to cross.

If it were me, I'd probably get a new door bottom seal, and adjust the close-point so the seal just hits the floor, this should leave at least a cable-thickness of space under the hard parts of the door.

I don't think it would be a big deal with the newer, thinner Gen3 cable, but if you really want, they make cable protectors. They either protect just the cable at that one spot, or extend all the way across the opening and have one channel for the cord to cross.

If it were me, I'd probably get a new door bottom seal, and adjust the close-point so the seal just hits the floor, this should leave at least a cable-thickness of space under the hard parts of the door.
That's probably fine given the OP's location but that wouldn't be much fun in a place that got meaningful snowfall.

I believe most garage door openers have a setting to identify how far down the door should go - usually some little set-screw on the unit. You could set it to be a little higher and then run some weather stripping along the floor or put thicker stripping on the bottom of the door.

There was someone who posted here a while back with pictures of their Wall Connector on the inside of the building and the cord run through a weather proof hole in the side of the building to a cable organizer on the outside wall. That seemed like a genius solution to me - keeps the big hardware secure and weather protected (not that they need to be) but the cable accessible outside the building.

Others have also drilled a hole through their garage wall to get the cable outside, and hanging the loops of cable and handle permanently outside.

The documented cases on TMC are where someone used a hole saw big enough for the handle and then put a big grommet like thing in to sort of close off the excess space. On a Gen3(and to a lesser degree on a Gen2), it is so trivial to remove the cable from the base that it would be far better to drill a hole just exactly the size of the cable, almost to the point you wouldn't need sealant. Its literally three minutes to remove a cable from an HPWC that starts off hanging on a wall, and slightly slower than that to reinstall.

We have 2 Tesla's and run both mobile connector cables under the garage door every night. No issues. There's a good size piece of rubber on the bottom of the garage door so never any issues with the cable. We also run a NeoCharge plug on a single 14-50 plug and it auto switches the charge when one car is full it turns on the next one.