Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anybody tried older 19s on the refresh? Looking for winter wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time I have ever had a car with summer tires, my ran my previous model s on all seasons. Living in Colorad, going to need to get some winter tires soon. I am trying to decide if I will just get tires and have them swapped to the stock wheels or get a set of winter wheels/tires. I am leasing so I want to spend the minimal amount. There are a few sets of older 19s locally on Craigslist (both the OG ones and slipstreams) But not sure if they will fit the new cars. Anybody tried these?

Hi, resurrecting this old thread to see if anyone has the answer.

I have a set of original 2014 Model S 19 inch wheels and am thinking of using one as a spare on long trips. Will this wheel fit a 2022 Model S LR?

Are there other, perhaps better, solutions for an emergency spare for the refreshed Model S?

Read somewhere the previous generation 19" stock wheels had fitment issues with the 2021+ refresh. Something about the brake shield making contact with the wheel. Cannot confirm but would verify before making a commitment to buy from someone. I did put aftermarket 19" wheels for a square winter wheels setup on mine, no fitment issue at all with my setup.

Not sure that's a safe setup, 255/45 tires on the new Tesla's running 19"

The fronts are 9.5" rim width while the rears are 10.5" IIRC. A standard 255/45 tire can be recommended up to a 10" width. No 255 R19 tire size is going to be a recommendation from Nokian for 10" much less 10.5" tires : https://login.schneidertire.com/uploads/styleDataSheets/sds2344.pdf

A safer bet, depending if you can clear the brake shield, may be the older 19x8 or 19x8.5 rims and go fully square. Not only would the tires be cheaper, but you'll have an easier choice of tires for a square setup.

So say $370 for the BLE sensors, $1000 for the older set of rims and another $1000 for some real winter tires.

Not sure that's a safe setup, 255/45 tires on the new Tesla's running 19"

The fronts are 9.5" rim width while the rears are 10.5" IIRC. A standard 255/45 tire can be recommended up to a 10" width. No 255 R19 tire size is going to be a recommendation from Nokian for 10" much less 10.5" tires : https://login.schneidertire.com/uploads/styleDataSheets/sds2344.pdf

A safer bet, depending if you can clear the brake shield, may be the older 19x8 or 19x8.5 rims and go fully square. Not only would the tires be cheaper, but you'll have an easier choice of tires for a square setup.

So say $370 for the BLE sensors, $1000 for the older set of rims and another $1000 for some real winter tires.
Nobody is recommending to use the stock staggered wheels on a 255/45-19 square setup as they will not work. If you look at the link I posted for my setup you will see I have 4x 19" aftermarket wheels all measuring 8.5" wide. I have listed everything you need on the link including new nuts.

Will a 245/45/19 tire work with the 19.5x8.5 +35 5-120 wheel set up?

I'm curious too. I really like the T-Sportline 19" offerings for 2020 Model S (which is that exact setup you listed).
The prices for the 2021+ are ridiculous.
I figured you could add spacers.
But the load rating of 245/45/19 tires are all lower 102 (instead of 104). It's 0.3" shorter.

As in.

TSS 19" Tesla Model S Wheel and Tire Package (Set of 4)

I ran Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 245/45R19 102 T XL Tires all winter on 19x8.5 Rial Luganos all winter on my Plaid and had no issues. No spacers, the back ones were about a half inch tucked in. I thought it looked fine, wasn't at all noticeable.

Reactions: mswlogo