Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anybody with a Model S or X 75 kWh battery ever seen a charging rate of more than 100 kW?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that some 70D models have 400V packs. I don't know if this is the case, but it would appear to make sense given that you're getting 116 kW.

If you have access to the CAN bus to read BMS frames, you should be able to tell from the pack voltages whether you have a 350V or 400V pack.
That would make sense, I just assumed it had a 350V pack.

I have no idea how to check the CAN bus, but I think the voltage should be printed on the battery sticker, I can check that if I don't forget.

I'll try to remember to do it tonight after I change out of my work clothes. It's under the car by the wheel axles, right?

Yes. Just look behind the front wheel on the passenger side. Some will say you have to turn the wheel but I'm able to see and photograph mine without turning the wheel. I bet that it says 70 kWh,400VDC at the top of the sticker.

Yes. Just look behind the front wheel on the passenger side. Some will say you have to turn the wheel but I'm able to see and photograph mine without turning the wheel. I bet that it says 70 kWh,400VDC at the top of the sticker.
I know for a fact it's not a 75kwh battery, I got mine 2+ years ago when they just killed off the 60 and released the 70s.

ETA, nevermind, I could've sworn you said 75kwh?, did you quick edit your post?

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that some 70D models have 400V packs. I don't know if this is the case, but it would appear to make sense given that you're getting 116 kW.

If you have access to the CAN bus to read BMS frames, you should be able to tell from the pack voltages whether you have a 350V or 400V pack.

Actually, the original 70 kWh had a 350 V pack. The reason that it could charge at 116 kW is because it could draw much higher current than Tesla permits on the newer 75 kWh.

See the battery sticker in this thread:

Battery table

Also, in the charging video I posted above, it is also apparent that the vehicle has a 350 V pack.

Actually, the original 70 kWh had a 350 V pack.
Thank you. I knew that was the case from watching the stages of this in their history. They were selling the 60 and 85 sizes as their two voltage level battery packs. Then they rolled out the chemistry change with the extra silicon, which increased their capacity a little bit, which is when those two sizes both went up a little to 70 and 90, but those were still the 350V and 400V packs, respectively.

tesla charging.jpg
I think the 70D 350 volt battery can charge at 115kW, not for long though. Also it is drawing more than 350 amps at the start of a charge.