Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anybody with a Model S or X 75 kWh battery ever seen a charging rate of more than 100 kW?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• BTX5.png
    BTX5.png
    78.6 KB · Views: 137
  • Informative
Reactions: IdaX and P85_DA
If they have a 75kWh-pack they don't tell the truth if they have seen 100+ kW charging speeds. It just ain't gonna happen.
However, the older 70D-vehicles came with a 400VDC-pack so if someone with that config say that they have seen 110kWh+ charge speeds that is perfectly normal. Also if you get repons from any of the few 75D owners that got their car delivered with software limited 85kWh battery (few EU-cars produced april-may or there about). Those "75D" will report same charging speeds like the 85-owners because it is the same (or similar) pack with 400VDC.

Not true. I've attached an image showing my newish 2017 MX75D getting 117kW.
IMG_1555.JPG
IMG_1555.JPG

Reactions: MarkKW
View attachment 316518 View attachment 316518

I wonder if you have one of the rare software-locked 85kwh batteries that went to some overseas "75" cars around the time that yours was produced. I'd be curious to see a pic of your battery sticker in the front passenger wheel well.

If you do have an actual 75kwh battery, you're the first person to ever produce evidence of supercharging at that rate.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
View attachment 316518 View attachment 316518

Not true? Did you read my post? You for sure are one of those few that have the software limited 85kWh battery packs (400v) that can charge at speeds close to 120kW. Keep in mind that those batteries was thrown in to cars during a short period of time. I assume your car is built around April/May 2017, because that was the window. All other 75D does have the 350v battery that can't Supercharge above 100kW.

I wonder if you have one of the rare software-locked 85kwh batteries that went to some overseas "75" cars around the time that yours was produced. I'd be curious to see a pic of your battery sticker in the front passenger wheel well.

If you do have an actual 75kwh battery, you're the first person to ever produce evidence of supercharging at that rate.

Interesting. If I do have an 85KWh battery software locked to 75 (which it sounds like), then is it possible to get it unlocked?
My wife is out of town with it at the moment... but I'll have a look at the battery sticker when she gets home tonite.

Reactions: MarkKW
Interesting. If I do have an 85KWh battery software locked to 75 (which it sounds like), then is it possible to get it unlocked?
My wife is out of town with it at the moment... but I'll have a look at the battery sticker when she gets home tonite.

Turns out I have an 85KWh/400V battery on my MX75D. Who knew?
None of the documentation mentions it.

I wonder if the extra capacity is at the top end or bottom end (i.e. did they stop charging
at 75KWh or stop discharging at 10KWh).
I've been babying my battery by only regularly charging it to 80%, but it seems that there could be quite
a bit of extra headroom.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Turns out I have an 85KWh/400V battery on my MX75D. Who knew?
None of the documentation mentions it.

I wonder if the extra capacity is at the top end or bottom end (i.e. did they stop charging
at 75KWh or stop discharging at 10KWh).
I've been babying my battery by only regularly charging it to 80%, but it seems that there could be quite
a bit of extra headroom.
If you search the forums for threads concerning the BTX8 option code (such as BTX8 battery-code on a 75D... or is it a 85D), you can find how a lot of 75 cars (BTX7) actually got the 85 kWh battery (BTX8) last year. Most of them seemed to go to Europe. Lucky you got one in New Zealand. Congrats!

If you search the forums for threads concerning the BTX8 option code (such as BTX8 battery-code on a 75D... or is it a 85D), you can find how a lot of 75 cars (BTX7) actually got the 85 kWh battery (BTX8) last year. Most of them seemed to go to Europe. Lucky you got one in New Zealand. Congrats!

Thanks!

As one commenter in that thread pointed out (and I agree) - Tesla are unlikely to create code to support "unlocking" the extra 10kWh for a small number of customers... so I probably wont see those extra few kms :-(.

I saw this ancient thread and wondered if max Supercharging speeds for S75 could exceed the observed max of 100kW, as Tesla is rolling out new, faster Superchargers and upping charge rates on the old Superchargers?

It could, if Tesla decided the battery could take a higher charge rate without damage. But I doubt that's going to be the case. It's been limited since the beginning for a reason.

I saw this ancient thread and wondered if max Supercharging speeds for S75 could exceed the observed max of 100kW, as Tesla is rolling out new, faster Superchargers and upping charge rates on the old Superchargers?
I doubt it. One of the interesting things that came up from the teardowns of the Model 3 was that they had thicker cabling inside than the Model S and X do. So I think the S and X are current limited by their wiring.

It could, if Tesla decided the battery could take a higher charge rate without damage. But I doubt that's going to be the case. It's been limited since the beginning for a reason.
In the very beginning it was not limited. Here in Europe, charge rates of 114-117 kW was observed on 60 and 75-packs for a short while before they limited the amperage. You'd see 380A at some (notably Denmark) and 350A at others (Norway,) while they were all limited to 330A later. Afaik that hasn't changed.

In the very beginning it was not limited. Here in Europe, charge rates of 114-117 kW was observed on 60 and 75-packs for a short while before they limited the amperage. You'd see 380A at some (notably Denmark) and 350A at others (Norway,) while they were all limited to 330A later. Afaik that hasn't changed.

You sure those were actually 75 packs? The 70 kWh packs could get up into the 115-117kw range briefly at very low SoC but tapered very quickly.