Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anybody with a Model S or X 75 kWh battery ever seen a charging rate of more than 100 kW?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ours reaches a max of exactly 100 kW at some point below 50% SOC, but only for a second or so.

To be clear, this is not about any other battery size, has nothing to do with a specific SuC station, SOC and outside or battery pack temperature. It is about the determination of the max rate the 75 kWh battery pack can be charged.

My assumption is, that the 75 kWh battery pack simply can not be charged at a higher rate than 100 kW, limited by the BMS.

For reference, the part number of the battery pack in our Model S is 1088794-00-A (which in contrast to an older article on Teslarati is indeed the latest 75 kWh battery pack version).

Last edited:
I have a 2017 MS 75 D. Have been using mostly Superchargers in South Florida to charge since I received the car in April. Most days the air temperature at the Supercharger is greater than 30* C. I have NEVER seen a charging power greater than 96 kW even when the battery is nearly empty or when charging in cooler temperatures later at night. Very frustrating as I have gone back and forth with Tesla service on this since I purchased the car. Most times I am charging below 75 kW and charging seems to take a needlessly long amount of time, usually at least one hour no matter how full or empty the battery is. The only action that seems to improve charging time is charging on a Level 2 charger before Supercharging.

• Informative
Reactions: jrad6515
I have a 2017 MS 100D in CA. I have done only charging at 4 different SCs along I-5. My charge rate has never been more than 78kW. The worst I have seen is at Dublin, CA @ 28kW (I was told this specific SC has a know issue as it is ALWAYS fully occupied)

Reactions: Ski_
I have a 2017 MS 100D in CA. I have done only charging at 4 different SCs along I-5. My charge rate has never been more than 78kW. The worst I have seen is at Dublin, CA @ 28kW (I was told this specific SC has a know issue as it is ALWAYS fully occupied)
Dublin is horrible... I have have fast charge rates there a few times— but it’s so rare... Sadly under 60kW seems the average...

I have NEVER seen a charging power greater than 96 kW even when the battery is nearly empty or when charging in cooler temperatures later at night. Very frustrating as I have gone back and forth with Tesla service on this since I purchased the car. Most times I am charging below 75 kW and charging seems to take a needlessly long amount of time, usually at least one hour no matter how full or empty the battery is. The only action that seems to improve charging time is charging on a Level 2 charger before Supercharging.
96 kW would seem about right, ours stays between 90 and 100 kW for the most part till it starts dropping at higher SOC. Though I can not see how AC charging before Supercharging can improve the charging rate.

Sorry, different problem, this is about determining the max rate the 75 kWh battery pack can be charged with. If you have a 100 kWh batter pack it's clearly the SOC / temp / SuC limiting your charging rate.

Yes. On two newer different MS 75d loaners. Both were on i5. It only seems to occur when the battery is on the low end and in the evening when it’s cooler out. (Not unusual).
How high did the charging rate go? I have watched the max charging rate of our Model S 75 (formerly software-limited S 60) closely over the last year, and we Supercharged under various conditions (temp, SOC, always alone one a A/B SuC pair or alone at the whole SuC station) but never exceeded those 100 kW, which really gets just touched long enough to be able to make a photo but then drops below 100 kW immediately again.

I have a software locked 60, max I recall seeing is 98kw. These packs don't charge any higher.
That's the assumption, though there have been (unconfirmed) reports from others with the claim of having seen a higher rate, which puzzles me.

So I know now that there is a difference in battery pack voltage. The 75 kWh battery pack has 350VDC, however the 85/90/100 kWh battery packs have 400VDC, which explains the lower charging rate for the 75 kWh pack.

But the question still remains: What's the max rate the 75 kWh can be charged with?

If everything is OK with our S 75, it should be 100 kW, but that still leaves some others reporting of having seen a higher charging rate on theirs, which doesn't make sense.

So I know now that there is a difference in battery pack voltage. The 75 kWh battery pack has 350VDC, however the 85/90/100 kWh battery packs have 400VDC, which explains the lower charging rate for the 75 kWh pack.

But the question still remains: What's the max rate the 75 kWh can be charged with?

If everything is OK with our S 75, it should be 100 kW, but that still leaves some others reporting of having seen a higher charging rate on theirs, which doesn't make sense.

If they have a 75kWh-pack they don't tell the truth if they have seen 100+ kW charging speeds. It just ain't gonna happen.
However, the older 70D-vehicles came with a 400VDC-pack so if someone with that config say that they have seen 110kWh+ charge speeds that is perfectly normal. Also if you get repons from any of the few 75D owners that got their car delivered with software limited 85kWh battery (few EU-cars produced april-may or there about). Those "75D" will report same charging speeds like the 85-owners because it is the same (or similar) pack with 400VDC.

The superchargers can put out a maximum current of 350A. For a 75 kWh battery to take 350A, it has to be very low in the charge range, so the terminal voltage of the pack will be well below the nominal 350 Vdc, somewhere in the 275-280 Vdc range.

280 Vdc * 350 A = 98 kW should be the max you will see.

For 85/90/100 kWh batteries, they are 400 Vdc nominal, so low in the charge range, they'll be around 330 Vdc and can take 350 A.

330 Vdc * 350 A = 116 kW which is typical on those batteries.

The superchargers can put out a maximum current of 350A. For a 75 kWh battery to take 350A, it has to be very low in the charge range, so the terminal voltage of the pack will be well below the nominal 350 Vdc, somewhere in the 275-280 Vdc range.

For 85/90/100 kWh batteries, they are 400 Vdc nominal, so low in the charge range, they'll be around 330 Vdc and can take 350 A.

Then how come my gen 1 70D battery can hit 113-115kw?

Screenshot_20170520-235943.png

Actually the max is higher than 360 A.

View attachment 253491

Different cell characteristics.

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that some 70D models have 400V packs. I don't know if this is the case, but it would appear to make sense given that you're getting 116 kW.

If you have access to the CAN bus to read BMS frames, you should be able to tell from the pack voltages whether you have a 350V or 400V pack.

View attachment 253491
Someone earlier in the thread mentioned that some 70D models have 400V packs. I don't know if this is the case, but it would appear to make sense given that you're getting 116 kW.

If you have access to the CAN bus to read BMS frames, you should be able to tell from the pack voltages whether you have a 350V or 400V pack.
@Max* could just look at the sticker on his battery and see if it says 350V or 400V. :)

Reactions: MP3Mike