Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone actually got the 30 day EAP trial?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was offered the 30 trial last month and after one day it disappeared and I had the downloading update nag on my screen everyday for two weeks until it was sorted out. Then I got another invite for a 30 day trial and it’s lasted about two weeks. I was away last week and noticed while checking on the car it was removed at 14 days. Anyone actually get a trouble free 30 day trial?

I got the trial for my ten month old 3 and bought it. Still don’t have EAP on my two year old S. Too expensive for what it does reliably — and the key word is reliably. NOA has potential and maybe within a year or so will be trustworthy. Oddly enough I probably am a safer driver with it, but mostly because I am constantly alert for the many quirks.

I am not even crazy about TACC as the car overreacts badly to any car crossing at a safe distance in front of me.

Currently EAP and NOA is about as erratic as that old grandpa who shouldn’t be driving anymore. Not sure why I forked over the $5500 now.:p

Last edited:
I am still undecided about purchasing EAP during my trial period. TACC is very good and that is the feature I really want. Auto Steer is about 75% there, but not sure I would use it that much anyways. Auto-Park and Summon are neat, but don't have a need for either. Really boils down to if I want to pay $5500 to use TACC. Not worth it if I only think of TACC as a convenience feature, but if I think of TACC as a Safety Feature then it becomes a bit harder decision. Of course $5500 today is better than $7000 later. I won't decide until the end of the trial. :confused:

Reactions: BestHand
I am also hung up on the price, I really enjoy the convenience in Austin Texas traffic, I drive commute 13+ hrs a week. The
TACC is the biggest thing i will miss, but not worth $5k or $5500, much less $7k. its been a fun 26 days of highway gimmicks and convenience. but i will let it go

Same as others here. I have my trial and dont find myself using it besides to show off to friends.

On the other hand, a few of my coworkers said that this is the main selling point to them, but they aren't the ones buying the teslas.

It's funny, some people see the value in the performance per dollar alone, and others dont seem to understand that and just want the cool self driving feature. I personally bought the car for the speed pet dollar (m3p).

I'd spend $2500 max on the enhanced auto pilot kit, but $5-7k for .5 faster in 0-60.

I accepted the trial just to get rid of the ransomware pop-up. I initially clicked the option to decline, but it wanted to reboot my car while I was out running errands, so I had to grudgingly accept. Still haven't tried any of the EAP features after a couple of weeks and will most likely just let the trial lapse.

would be interesting if tesla decide to separate the autopilot suite to charging just for TACC what would you pay for it?
If anything, Tesla has been bundling previously discrete options and eliminating some other options entirely for the sake of "simplifying" production and ordering, so I don't envision a decoupling of TACC from EAP happening anytime soon, if at all.

But, if they were to offer it, I'd pay no more than $500 for it. This is coming from a guy who seldom uses even standard cruise control.

Got trial two weeks ago. Used it on various long/short trips. My summary: It works, but seems a bit rudimentary, especially for the price. Car tends to stay fully centered in lane, usually OK for many situations, but when large trucks approach extreme left or right in lane an experienced driver will reposition within the lane. The EAP doesn't do that, retains a center lane position. That's a bit uncomfortable for me.

Also find the EAP struggles a bit on wider winding lanes. It sometimes gets confused and doesn't initially decide if there are two lanes wide that aren't well marked, or one wide lane and it veers from side to side as it gathers more information. This is particularly noticeable when entering an exit ramp that is poorly marked.

I also dislike the constant feedback needed to keep EAP engaged. When EAP is active the system prompts you typically in two minute intervals to start. You then have to give feedback on the steering wheel, or by tapping the gear indicator down (that's a nice tip given in the forum - it mimics the same reply as gripping the wheel). The frequency of the needed EAP prompts can also increase if the system is in bad weather and can't see the lane markings clearly.

For me the result is that the EAP isn't worth the price. If I have to continually provide steering inputs/or tension on the wheel, have to engage manual driving during poorly marked sections of road, and have to be more engaged in poor visibility conditions, the EAP isn't worth it to me.

Another point - the EAP trial provides a $5500 purchase price, but you also have to pay state sales tax. That may not matter for everyone, but in NC where I live it makes a difference. Buying EAP during initial purchase applies the same tax rate as the car - which is 3% for a motor vehicle (regardless of which county you live in), but in my county the state sales tax is 7.25%. If you buy EAP during the trial the tax rate increases to the standard sales tax rate in your county. For me that means instead of a 3% sales tax if bought with the car as an initial purchase, I would now have to pay 7.25%. That makes the EAP $5,898.75 instead of $5,150 if purchased initially with the car. So the step up cost isn't $500, it's $748.75. That's not necessarily enough to stop me from buying EAP, but given my neutral opinion of EAP as it currently works, it's enough for me to not order it when the trial ends. Your state taxes may differ, but it's worth checking out before ordering the car to avoid paying extra tax after the trial.