Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone actually paid idle fees?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He was referring to them charging you for the idle fees you have incurred when you take your car in for service.

Perhaps, but that wasn't at all clear from the language LuckyX used. This is exactly what LuckyX wrote:

"Just got my X back from warranty work and didn't incur any idling fees. I even asked and they didn't have a clue."

By using the word "incur" instead of saying something like "have to pay" it made it sound like LuckyX was talking about fees not being due based on what took place while the car was in for service.

As I understand it, when a Tesla is taken in for service, the service center changes its status somehow. Accordingly, when the service center charges the car the system does not recognize the ownership information. I would suspect that this procedure will eliminate any idle fees and any usage fees for the newer Teslas that will only receive the annual allotment of 400kWh. Once the customer receives his vehicle, the service status reverts to the owner.

Perhaps, but that wasn't at all clear from the language LuckyX used. This is exactly what LuckyX wrote:

"Just got my X back from warranty work and didn't incur any idling fees. I even asked and they didn't have a clue."

By using the word "incur" instead of saying something like "have to pay" it made it sound like LuckyX was talking about fees not being due based on what took place while the car was in for service.

Earlier up-thread, LuckyX posted:

I'll know on Friday. I was late 2 mins after my 5min grace period (occurred early January). So let's see if they charge me my $0.80 idle fee.

I'm sure I have enough pennies to handle the payment.

To clarify: when I picked up my car, we did the paperwork and there were no charges for warranty work. After reviewing the paperwork, before signing off, I asked specifically
Me: do I owe anything to idling fees?
Service: Nope.
Me: are you sure, I know I was a few minutes late when I charged up recently.
Service: you don't owe anything.

Signed my paperwork and left.

Reactions: madodel
Tesla's Supercharger network, which now stretches coast-to-coast and has achieved surprising penetration into even rural US, allows current Model S owners to quickly re-charge their cars completely for free. In just about 20 minutes a car can get a 50-percent charge, or get a full charge after slightly over an hour.

However, many people plug their cars in and go shopping, see a movie or, indeed, have a friend pick them up and go somewhere else. This leaves a charger occupied for much longer than is strictly necessary.

"We envision a future where cars move themselves once fully charged, enhancing network efficiency and the customer experience even further," Tesla's statement today says. "Until then, we ask that vehicles be moved from the Supercharger once fully charged. A customer would never leave a car parked by the pump at a gas station and the same thinking applies with Superchargers."

Reactions: FlatSix911
It's pretty obvious from the responses...or lack...in this thread that Tesla is not really charging idling fees yet. A stated policy not actually enforced with no teeth. Bummer.

There could be silent(unpublished) grace period in addition to the first 5 minutes. Maybe another 5, 10 minutes, because they don't want to rile up customers.Everyone hates paying fees.
This is what we did at Ting(small US mobile service) while I was there. If your data/voice/txt usage was inside of usage bucket+5%, we'd use the lower rate, so you never feel annoyed that you just, barely crossed into another usage bucket. This was unpublished, but automated policy.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
It's pretty obvious from the responses...or lack...in this thread that Tesla is not really charging idling fees yet. A stated policy not actually enforced with no teeth. Bummer.

I've only followed this issue from afar since I never idle at superchargers and the superchargers in my region are never full when I've tried to charge/driven by. But if the accepted interpretation of the policy is that they will bill you at your next service center visit without giving you any notice of an infraction near the time of the infraction, I don't see how they can enforce this at all. They could be first notifying you that you broke the rules 10+ months later. That's not reasonable at all. Especially with a policy that's clear as mud.

I think you are right, sorka, they released the policy to scar people and are not actually enforcing this rule right now.

I've only followed this issue from afar since I never idle at superchargers and the superchargers in my region are never full when I've tried to charge/driven by. But if the accepted interpretation of the policy is that they will bill you at your next service center visit without giving you any notice of an infraction near the time of the infraction, I don't see how they can enforce this at all. They could be first notifying you that you broke the rules 10+ months later. That's not reasonable at all. Especially with a policy that's clear as mud.

I think you are right, sorka, they released the policy to scar people and are not actually enforcing this rule right now.
It's likely this is just a temporary method until they have credit cards on file for existing owners, as they will for new owners to pay for charging beyond the first 400 kWh/yr.

I was very scared I was going to get some this week. I was at our meijers charging when I seen the line for the Nintendo switch start to pile up. I didn't have time to unplug.I was there for almost 5 hours waiting.
Lucky for me me son was close by so he could unplug it for me he said that he ran up to the car to unplug it forgot that it was locked and when he was unplugging it another tesla driver yelled at him to get away from the car and leve it alone lol

I was very scared I was going to get some this week. I was at our meijers charging when I seen the line for the Nintendo switch start to pile up. I didn't have time to unplug.I was there for almost 5 hours waiting.
Lucky for me me son was close by so he could unplug it for me he said that he ran up to the car to unplug it forgot that it was locked and when he was unplugging it another tesla driver yelled at him to get away from the car and leve it alone lol
So you left the car unplugged but still parked at the supercharger for 5 hours? I hope Tesla reads this and charges you every minute of that idle fee.

So you left the car unplugged but still parked at the supercharger for 5 hours? I hope Tesla reads this and charges you every minute of that idle fee.
There is never anyone there especially at 12 pm.I even asked my son he said one car was there. After so long they gave me a ticket for the Nintendo.Then I moved the car and when I did there was not one car there and when I left there was not one car there. It's in Ohio I have never ran into a full one.