TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Has anyone actually upgraded their battery for $27,500?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by number12, Sep 25, 2016.

1. number12

number12 Member

$20k fee plus $7500 tax credit just to trade in.

So that mean everyone who upgrades has taken at least a $30k deprecation on their car and would still rather have their old car then pay a "little" more and just order a new one?

Just curious, as someone has mentioned that factory is going on a "vacation" first week of October seems like a good week to change something.

So wondering how much first couple months deprecation is... As in did anyone take delivery of a P90dL and just trade in after 2 months vs paying $27,500.

TIA

2. Bishop

Bishop Member

why plus the tax credit? tesla doesnt get that the buyer does and its tied to a vin number not a battery

3. number12

number12 Member

Sorry - poor wording. If you trade in to get a new P100dl you can knock off $27,500 off the price if alternative is to upgrade your current sled. New car would get battery and tax credit.

4. fallen888

fallen888 Member.. hehe, I said "member"

Yeah, I didn't get any of that, sorry. :confused:

5. number12

number12 Member

I meant instead of

So pay $20k for battery but have to assume your p90dl is worth $30k less than new p100dl

For example if sticker price was $35k higher than trade in value I would probably pay the $7,500 different vs battery swap and get And car ordered. Just curious.

6. richrootes

richrootes Member

Wonder what the cost would be to swap a 60 battery for a 90 or 100?

7. number12

number12 Member

Not possible.

8. Xminus6

Xminus6 Member

He's saying that the $7500 tax credit makes buying a new car with the larger pack a better deal than upgrading the battery in a current car. The upgrade costs $20k to get to the same capacity as a new car. With the new car you'd get the tax credit so you have to compare the costs of upgrading vs. a comparable new car minus the tax credit.

There are also those other fees that you pay as well on a new car which are pretty sizable though.

9. number12

number12 Member

Yes and that definitely depends on state. Mine for instance you just pay tax on the difference and sales tax is capped at $300

10. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

#10 AmpedRealtor, Sep 25, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    Well, let's see. I paid $106k for my P85. Today it's worth about, what, $55k to a private party? That's a $51,000 loss of value in 3 years. A rough equivalent today would be a 90D at $99,000. If I were to trade-in to buy that, it would cost me an extra $44,000. Instead, I am keeping my P85 and buying a Model 3 when it's launched for the same amount of money. I think that's a much better deal, to have two cars, than one. Nothing Tesla has done to the Model S in the last 3 years is worth upgrading to, in my opinion. The car still has QC issues and still lacks a number of amenities and convenience features that need to be included before I would consider buying again. It's unbelievable to me that Tesla did not upgrade the interior with the "facelift" change. Still no adjustable heigh seat belts, door pockets, grab handles, or usable sun visors.

Model 3 is likely to have all of these things from the start, and more. It will be a much more practical vehicle for the majority of people. The Model S is too much form over function, in my opinion. Too many compromises for most people.

11. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

It's possible, but Tesla won't do it yet. Forum members have done it.

12. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

Tesla needs some wins, and they need them quick.
    I'd love to have the option of
    a) Solar roof
    b) My car battery acting as my home battery too.
    c) Vehicle to grid

.. rumors are this is coming .. but .. when :) .. raise your hand if you have a powerwall .. didn't think so!

13. Bishop

Bishop Member

i had asked about going from a 75D to a 90D ( model x ) and i was told something crazy as the 75d had a different suspension which i find extremely had to believe unless you have coils ( and even if you do) i dont think it matters all that much

14. richrootes

richrootes Member

Thank you, Max - that's a much more reasonable reply