Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone added an active spoiler to a model themselves?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been looking around and I have not seen any DIY active spoiler stuff. I looked at some pictures and it is unclear to me what it would take to 'DIY' a fixed spoiler into an active one. A deal breaker to this mod would be if the fixed spoiler is somehow fused to the rear glass. I would think that posts on the spoiler would just be different and it would bolt to the inside of the trunk.

I have seen in other threads that people have added things like fog lights and folding mirrors. Then the SC (when asked nicely) have activated the required software at the cost of 1 HR of service.

I know the spoiler is just 1.6% more range, it is more of a 'I think it's neat' feature.

If the wiring isn't there or the SC won't activate the software, i have been toying with the idea on just writting my own control software and have it do a gradual angle change based on speed. Or even trying to benchmark it and figure out an optimal angle based on driving data.

I think it was assumed, initially, that the spoiler would be used to help deflect air over an item being towed to increase range. From what I can see the spoiler only moves up and down at a fix angle relative to the post. If you add two posts that can rotate you could vary the height and angle. Without a wind tunnel or aerosoftware the optimal angle and height would require collecting a lot of data but it might be a neat project.

Has anyone done any research on this? I have not ordered a model X yet (aiming for one this summer) and as neat as an active spoiler is, it isn't p100d money neat. I was hoping it would be part of a new PUP.

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: azita and dragonxt
I recognize the active spoiler is no longer a new-order configuration option.

I’m interested in adding the active spoiler to a X100D which currently has the fixed spoiler.
I am absolutely willing to pay both the labor & parts costs but am unsure whether the SC would be willing to enable the configuration/software on the car.

@verygreen or others, do you know if this is something that can be configured/enabled without service center if they flat out refuse?

Reactions: azita