Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone added red calipers to a YLR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The easiest way would be to put on caliper covers to get the red brake look. You can also paint them but that's a tedious process and requires higher strength paint and WILL flake off eventually. You can probably google model Y caliper covers to find some. I'm not sure if I can post retailer links or not.

Reactions: She Lazz
Had mine painted.

Attachments

• IMG_20210819_192650.jpg
    IMG_20210819_192650.jpg
    457.3 KB · Views: 270
Reactions: She Lazz

this stuff works great, its very easy to do, self levels and wont peel off. highly recommended.

that was mine, did it 18 months ago (just sold the car for YP). total time to do it was probably about 2 hours including taking the wheels off. my son did it with me. tesla high temp caliper decals came from ebay.

Attachments

• IMG_1012.jpeg
    IMG_1012.jpeg
    851.3 KB · Views: 219
  • Disagree
Reactions: glide and She Lazz
Helped my buddy install his red caliper covers on his MYLR last year. Very easy to install. I myself purchased a set in black. I just didn’t want the bare aluminum caliper look.

4B886922-4C87-4B42-8187-AF89F0701889.jpeg

I chose the caliper covers route because I’ve had experience with painted calipers in my previous vehicle. They looked great, but WILL eventually chip. Can’t avoid it. They can obviously be retouched down the road, but in order to do it correct to maintain the smooth finish, the calipers have to be wire brushed clean, or just sanded, or both, to remove the old paint before repainting. Otherwise, it will look clumpy. It’s a task for a lot of patience. I figured I’d give caliper covers a try.

Here are the black caliper covers I placed on the MY I picked up last week. Took about 10 minutes to install all four when the rims were off. The covers all feel securely attached to the callipers. There is plenty of clearance on the 19" wheel.

View attachment 775291 View attachment 775292 View attachment 775293
One word of warning about covers. Anytime you take the tires off. check the tightness of the brackets. You wouldn't want one to come loose while driving, speaking from experience :(

After having tires rotated for first time, I pulled out and drove down the street and heard a terrible grinding sound from the front right. Drove less than a mile and made it back to the shop. Apparently my front right caliper came loose( they claim they had nothing to do with it). My inductions did a nice job grinding the inside of the cover. Good news is that it is only noticeable if you get up close and look through the rim. Bad news, I know it’s there. Getting my calipers painted end of this month.

One word of warning about covers. Anytime you take the tires off. check the tightness of the brackets. You wouldn't want one to come loose while driving, speaking from experience :(
I tried covers some time ago on another ride. The mounting system is weak especially on salted roads and they do look like add ons no matter how you slice or dice it, will never try that again. If you cannot do this on your own, I would recommend having it done by a shop. Proper paint and prep are the key and if done correctly they will last the lifetime of the car. Here are my results, still look like the day they were painted after 2 hard Canadian salted road winters. DIY: Model Y Painted Calipers