Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Anyone Already Designed a Model X Rear Bumper Tow-Hitch Cover Cut-Out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tps5352

Supporting Member
If your Model X came with the tow package (i.e., internal hitch bar and removable 2" receiver-adapter), then you know about the rectangular opening with its plastic tow hitch cover at the bottom-center below the rear bumper (Part # 1058357-00-D). These covers (right-hand photo, directly below) are available for only $11 from any Tesla parts desk, btw.

Model X Tow-Hitch Bar
Model X 2-Receiver-Adapter Kit
Model X Tow-Hitch receiver Opening
Tow-Hitch Receiver Opening Cover

To attach the optional 2" receiver-adapter, you remove the cover, exposing a wide hole in the bottom center below the bumper. The beefy receiver adapter pin locks into a greased socket on the hitch bar inside the bumper. (Here is a handy YouTube installation video.)

Tesla Model X Trailer-Hitch Adapter.jpg

Not terribly hard to do, but inconvenient if you are, say, frequently attaching and removing a bike carrier. So it is sometimes easier just to permanently leave a bike carrier attached to the 2" receiver.

Fine, except with the removable receiver-adapter attached, now you have a fairly large rectangular opening at the bottom of the bumper that can let in dirt and water. What to do?

Dirst & Water Can Be Kicked Up Into Hitch Assembly

Has anyone tried crafting an efficient cutout into an existing Tesla cover, or making a completely new cover from scratch, that closely fits the installed receiver-adapter, allows adapter assembly and removal, yet would cut down on the amount of open space in the cover opening around the adapter?

Rear
Hypothetical Opening in Cover to Allow Adapter

Front​

Unfortunately, the most effective hole cut into the plastic cover would probably not look as simple as what is portrayed directly above. Because (a) the Model X receiver adapter is somewhat irregularly shaped, with circular control and lock on the right side that must be accessed to attach and to release the adapter, and (b) because the cover is slanted rearward in relation to the adapter, designing the smallest possible properly-sized hole would take some trial-and-error efforts. Has anyone already done this? If so, I would be interested in buying your result or copying your design plans.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Massive Attack
Wow. Here is a Model 3 (Europe) version that looks very similar to what I was imagining for the Model X. (I am unsure if Tesla offers tow packages for Model 3 in Europe, or if it is all aftermarket parts.)

I borrowed one of the photos (below) because it shows almost exactly what I was thinking of for Model X. (I will probably never need an electrical connection.)

European Model 3 with Modified Tow Hitch Cover

I do not have access to or expertise with 3D printing. But perhaps some Model X owner in North America does and is so inclined to give it a go?

If your Model X came with the tow package (i.e., internal hitch bar and removable 2" receiver-adapter), then you know about the rectangular opening with its plastic tow hitch cover at the bottom-center below the rear bumper (Part # 1058357-00-D). These covers (right-hand photo, directly below) are available for only $11 from any Tesla parts desk, btw.

To attach the optional 2" receiver-adapter, you remove the cover, exposing a wide hole in the bottom center below the bumper. The beefy receiver adapter pin locks into a greased socket on the hitch bar inside the bumper. (Here is a handy YouTube installation video.)

Not terribly hard to do, but inconvenient if you are, say, frequently attaching and removing a bike carrier. So it is sometimes easier just to permanently leave a bike carrier attached to the 2" receiver.

Fine, except with the removable receiver-adapter attached, now you have a fairly large rectangular opening at the bottom of the bumper that can let in dirt and water. What to do?

Has anyone tried crafting an efficient cutout into an existing Tesla cover, or making a completely new cover from scratch, that closely fits the installed receiver-adapter, allows adapter assembly and removal, yet would cut down on the amount of open space in the cover opening around the adapter?

Unfortunately, the most effective hole cut into the plastic cover would probably not look as simple as what is portrayed directly above. Because (a) the Model X receiver adapter is somewhat irregularly shaped, with circular control and lock on the right side that must be accessed to attach and to release the adapter, and (b) because the cover is slanted rearward in relation to the adapter, designing the smallest possible properly-sized hole would take some trial-and-error efforts. Has anyone already done this? If so, I would be interested in buying your result or copying your design plans.

Thanks.
Has anyone come up with something?

Has anyone come up with something?

Here is a Reddit post by a guy with a refreshed 2022 Model X:

Measure once, cut and keep cutting.

Unfortunately, Tesla changed the cover somewhat for the new refreshed version, so his precise design will not work for the Classic (2015-2021) Model X. But the Reddit article shows that it can be done.

So, though tantalizingly close, I still have no specific reference to a cover-modification-project for the Classic Model X.

However, replacement covers are relatively cheap--$11--so it is both possible and affordable to simply develop a hole pattern, even if it takes a couple of tries.

At some point what I may do is to:
  • Remove the existing plastic opening cover.
  • Install the hitch receiver adapter.
  • Use masking tape and/or maybe cardboard to carefully "build" up a mock-up template of a modified cover around the adapter, leaving space around the adapter where it penetrates the "plane" of the bumper cover as it juts out from under the car. Layers of masking tape or cardboard would have to be used to make the makeshift template firm and sturdy. Maybe it could be sprayed or coated with something (some sort of glue or putty; maybe epoxy?) to make it more rigid and sturdy?
  • Once the proper shape (with smallest irregular-shaped hole that still allows the adapter to poke through) was achieved, carefully remove the template.
  • Use that template to cut out the irregular hole in a second cover.
  • So, you would end up having:
    • one (original, unmodified) whole cover for normal use (no hitch adapter attached), and
    • one modified cover (with irregular hole) for when the hitch adapter is in place.
I envy the Model Y owners concerning this issue. The Model Y hitch receiver assembly design is seemingly so much 'cleaner' and easier to deal with.

Has anyone come up with a template or a design we can purchase for this?

??? Sorry, unknown.

I kind of shelved the issue (for me), as I decided not to leave the trailer hitch receiver adapter and Yakima 2-bike rack attached to the car all the time. I didn't like the obstruction of the rear camera, potential interference with the rear hatch, and risk of banged shins (from just the Tesla receiver adapter). So I put the stock plastic cover back on.

Last edited:
I ended up making a rough template with cardboard, before cutting it out onto the actual cover and fine tuning more cuts. The final product needed to be larger than my initial template. Not the prettiest, but it works.

Did the cuts on a spare $12 cover from the service center: COVER, TOW HITCH, 1.00 FASCIA, RR, MX P2(1609584-00-A)

Attachments

• IMG_8029.jpg
    IMG_8029.jpg
    543.5 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_8026.jpg
    IMG_8026.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_8028.jpg
    IMG_8028.jpg
    526.9 KB · Views: 305
I did this last year. See:

Takes about 5 minutes if you have the right tool. Or 5 minutes plus a pit stop at Home Depot.

Reactions: m5james
I ended up making a rough template with cardboard, before cutting it out onto the actual cover and fine tuning more cuts. The final product needed to be larger than my initial template. Not the prettiest, but it works.

Did the cuts on a spare $12 cover from the service center: COVER, TOW HITCH, 1.00 FASCIA, RR, MX P2(1609584-00-A)
What Model X do you have ? My 2023 Model X Plaid - seems to have a different covering. I made a simple cut and it works - but doesn't look the best.

Attachments

• IMG_1916.jpgHitch cut out 2.jpg
    IMG_1916.jpgHitch cut out 2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_1916.jpgHitch cut out 1.jpg
    IMG_1916.jpgHitch cut out 1.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 194
We have a 2023 model X and would definitely be interested in a cover with a cutout. If anyone has a stencil/outline I can use to cut the hole myself that is cool.

I am a little confused about the part. Can someone please provide/confirm the part number for me to order for the Model X (Refresh)? Thank you!

We have a 2023 model X and would definitely be interested in a cover with a cutout. If anyone has a stencil/outline I can use to cut the hole myself that is cool.

I am a little confused about the part. Can someone please provide/confirm the part number for me to order for the Model X (Refresh)? Thank you!

Check the Tesla Parts Catalog entry for Refreshed (March 2021 to present) Model X:

"COVER, TOW HITCH, FASCIA, RR, MX P2 1609584-00-A"

Should cost about $10-$15.

Did mine this morning. 30 mins total. Used 2 stencils that I eyeballed. I have my hitch receiver on 24/7 so this was a great idea.

Is your car one of the newer, refreshed Model X (i.e., March 2021 to present)? If so, your precise stencil design may not work for the classic Model X, which use a somewhat different cover. (The hole outline should be the same, I would think. Just not its precise location within the somewhat different border outline of the newer bumper cover.)

Still, great job. And if you do have a Classic Model X, I (and others, I'm sure) would like to acquire a tracing copy of your design.

I decided not to leave my receiver adapter permanently in place (after seeing a guy on YouTube painfully bang his shin on it--that would be me, also). In addition, I did not like the fact that my bike carrier center post blocked the rear camera view, which I have grown to totally depend on for parking.

Is your car one of the newer, refreshed Model X (i.e., March 2021 to present)? If so, your precise stencil design may not work for the classic Model X, which use a somewhat different cover. (The hole outline should be the same, I would think. Just not its precise location within the somewhat different border outline of the newer bumper cover.)

Still, great job. And if you do have a Classic Model X, I (and others, I'm sure) would like to acquire a tracing copy of your design.

I decided not to leave my receiver adapter permanently in place (after seeing a guy on YouTube painfully bang his shin on it--that would be me, also). In addition, I did not like the fact that my bike carrier center post blocked the rear camera view, which I have grown to totally depend on for parking.
I do have a refresh 2023 model. It’s funny you mentioned the banging of the shin. I did it 5 min sagger installing it lol.