Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone been able to add referral code to M3 non-Perf order placed prior to 10/5?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered my M3 non-Performance on 6/30. Took delivery 11/19. A couple weeks before delivery I asked my DA to add my friend’s referral code to my order; DA said he submitted the request. I also asked them again at the delivery center (prior to signing) to please make sure that referral code was added. Never received any confirmation and it didn’t show on my account. So I emailed [email protected] and again made the request. This was their response: “Model 3 orders placed prior to October 5 2018 must be a Performance Model 3, in order to have a referral code attached.”

Has anyone else been successful adding a referral code (prior to delivery) to a M3 non-perf order placed prior to October 5th?

Seems like kind of b.s. that I put down $ and placed an order several months prior (not to mention reservation), Tesla took forever to deliver it, yet I couldn’t use a code. Whereas some people placed orders after 10/5, got their cars within weeks (before me), and got 6 months free supercharging. So just wondering if anyone else has been able to do this.

I placed my original order like you before this arbitrary date they set and they are refusing to add a code to my order even though I don’t even have my car yet. I think it’s really poor customer service especially given that they have been all over the place with the referral program.

I was not able to. But, those were the terms at the time of order, so my option was to cancel or accept it. I was fine with that at the time I put down the actual deposit. They did adjust the price to match the current prices.

I ordered my M3 non-Performance on 6/30. Took delivery 11/19. A couple weeks before delivery I asked my DA to add my friend’s referral code to my order; DA said he submitted the request. I also asked them again at the delivery center (prior to signing) to please make sure that referral code was added. Never received any confirmation and it didn’t show on my account. So I emailed [email protected] and again made the request. This was their response: “Model 3 orders placed prior to October 5 2018 must be a Performance Model 3, in order to have a referral code attached.”

Has anyone else been successful adding a referral code (prior to delivery) to a M3 non-perf order placed prior to October 5th?

Seems like kind of b.s. that I put down $ and placed an order several months prior (not to mention reservation), Tesla took forever to deliver it, yet I couldn’t use a code. Whereas some people placed orders after 10/5, got their cars within weeks (before me), and got 6 months free supercharging. So just wondering if anyone else has been able to do this.

Unless you are only using Superchargers, you are fretting a lot about nothing. I've maybe used $50 in charging and have about 3,000 miles in trips and 11,000 total miles in 6 months.

Unless you are only using Superchargers, you are fretting a lot about nothing. I've maybe used $50 in charging and have about 3,000 miles in trips and 11,000 total miles in 6 months.

True but all the more reason Tesla should just add the referral, make the customer happy with generally little cost to them. Granted they also have the cost to the referrer.

Reactions: jcadman22
I tried as well, and escalated this as much as possible. I understand that all the posts so far is just to get the $100 or 6-month free supercharging. They will not budge, and I will not get any free supercharging or credit.

My case takes a different twist as I had something serious to lose... a Wall Connector. I had planned to use my own referral code (I'm an existing Powerwall customer) aka "self-referred" myself, and referred a friend to purchase a Model 3. My order was on Oct 2nd, and I saw the promotion on Oct 5th, and immediately contacted the OA that day and customer service about my intention to cancel and reorder. I was within the 3 days per contract to cancel the Model 3. I was told that I can simply add the code. A few days I received email confirmation that my OA added the code. This was invalided later because the Referral System disallows this if the order was placed outside the effective date window, and I was not made immediately aware until a month later. I spent a lot of time following up and was ultimately asked, "to make you a happy customer, what do you want?" I was flabbergasted, said Wall Connector, and it was done. I did lose out on the Supercharging credit, but all is not lost. I would say that I had evidence in writing that something was promised to me (a referral credit towards "loot"), and thankfully the OA and his manager made it right. I think that is key, Tesla does a good job making things right. The path to getting there isn't convenient or easy for both parties. Yes, if I canceled and reordered it would have yielded optimum result, but I am happy to put this thorn in my side to rest. It is true that I only have one referral on record, so maybe I can put myself at two referrals, and give him/her the referral gift.

Last edited: