Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone been able to connect their wifi to their 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Strange because it was definitely connected to the WiFi at the Fremont delivery center-- not sure why connecting to home WiFi would require anything further.

I don't care much about the browser, but I want to make sure I get software updates in a timely fashion especially given how many features are still missing and 'coming soon.' I know they prioritize software updates for vehicles connected over WiFi and to compound the issue I have absolutely zero cell coverage in my garage.

• Love
Reactions: Garlan Garner
Strange because it was definitely connected to the WiFi at the Fremont delivery center-- not sure why connecting to home WiFi would require anything further.

Maybe because the service center WiFi is hard-coded into the software and they haven't completed the UI for you to be able to add a SSIS to the connection list yet.

Someone reported that they got a software update this morning, but haven't installed it yet. So who knows what is in it.

Looks like they recently updated the Wi-Fi section in the manual to call out that the capability isn't yet available
Screen Shot 2017-12-29 at 10.28.53.png

However I did receive the OTA update and I have no cell service. So I am guessing the Wifi is there - just not available to users yet.
I doubt that's true as there'd need to be some interface for entering your wifi password, and there isn't. Wifi just isn't enabled yet but will be. More likely is that you're getting bits of the software update as you drive around in areas of cell coverage and after enough time, it has the full upgrade package downloaded and installs it.

Reactions: SFPD
I just got my 3 last night and the Wifi still not functional. Nothing happens when you click on the LTE icon. Even at the delivery center with access to Tesla's network, the 3 did not have Wifi access. Delivery Rep said that it's not enabled yet and should be available in coming updates.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Garlan Garner
I've had trouble doing that, but the driveway is pretty crappy signal strength, and as much as I love our Model 3 PV, not driving it in the front door just yet. :p:p:p Have been able to do with turning phone into hotspot. No problems there.