Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone been behind the rocker panels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What kind of repair method did they use? Weld pins? I have the exact same damage but i've been putting off repairs.

I hit a granite curb, late Summer. Stupid curb juts up, just as your rear wheel falls into a drain, so that the granite hits your rocker. Further complicating things is, that as you round the corner, the parking spot is inset, so, you don't realize that you're pulling closer to the curb since you can't see that corner.

Here's the granite curb with drain:
View attachment 606687

Here's the damage to my rocker, at the body shop. I already hung the salmon-colored hockey pucks. Rather than hope the shop is careful lifting the Tesla, I just hang the hard-to-miss pucks. That way I don't have to worry about the techs and their experience with Teslas:
View attachment 606688

And, after I got it back, I waited 4 weeks to re-apply the PPF to the rocker:
View attachment 606689

$1300 billed to insurance, not counting rental car for 4 days, $500 was labor to fix the dent, aluminum, they heat it and massage it; $500 for painting, and $300 for materials. I did the PPF myself, later. They were going to do it, but I wanted to wait to let the paint dry completely. They said they could do it by removing the plastic rocker on the bottom, and that there was enough space to heat and massage the dent out.

I hit a granite curb, late Summer. Stupid curb juts up, just as your rear wheel falls into a drain, so that the granite hits your rocker. Further complicating things is, that as you round the corner, the parking spot is inset, so, you don't realize that you're pulling closer to the curb since you can't see that corner.

Here's the granite curb with drain:
View attachment 606687

Here's the damage to my rocker, at the body shop. I already hung the salmon-colored hockey pucks. Rather than hope the shop is careful lifting the Tesla, I just hang the hard-to-miss pucks. That way I don't have to worry about the techs and their experience with Teslas:
View attachment 606688

And, after I got it back, I waited 4 weeks to re-apply the PPF to the rocker:
View attachment 606689

$1300 billed to insurance, not counting rental car for 4 days, $500 was labor to fix the dent, aluminum, they heat it and massage it; $500 for painting, and $300 for materials. I did the PPF myself, later. They were going to do it, but I wanted to wait to let the paint dry completely. They said they could do it by removing the plastic rocker on the bottom, and that there was enough space to heat and massage the dent out.
Do you know what kind of repair method they used? Weld pins? I have almost the exact same damage but I've been putting off repairs because the first Tesla authorized shop quoted me 18k...