Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone been successful going from Las Vegas to Beaver, UT Supercharger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David99

Supporting Member
Jan 31, 2014
Nomad (mostly US)
As part of a longer trip I'm thinking of going from Las Vegas to the next Supercharger in Beaver, UT. It's 230 miles but a significant elevation rise of almost 4000 feet. Even when driving slowly (60 mph) it's pushing the limits of an S85.

Has anyone done that trip successfully? Any tips or comments? I'm really trying to avoid charging on the way but I think I might have to.

I know there is a Supercharger planned in between, but it might not be open yet when I go on my trip in July.

As part of a longer trip I'm thinking of going from Las Vegas to the next Supercharger in Beaver, UT. It's 230 miles but a significant elevation rise of almost 4000 feet. Even when driving slowly (60 mph) it's pushing the limits of an S85.

Has anyone done that trip successfully? Any tips or comments? I'm really trying to avoid charging on the way but I think I might have to.

I know there is a Supercharger planned in between, but it might not be open yet when I go on my trip in July.

It is almost a 4,000 foot climb from Vegas to Beaver! According to EV Trip Planner, in neutral condition at 55 MPH (0.8 speed multiplier), you can do it with 239 rated miles. That is patient driving and cutting it very close. I would plan on a lenghty lunch/dinner stop in St George at a 14-50 for a top up, even driving slowly. St George has several RV Park choices with 50 Amp plugs.

The other way is not so bad; 233 rated miles at 67 MPH (0.95 speed multiplier); you could always slow down from that for margin or make a quick stop in St George.

The St George Supercharger is needed to make this part of I-15 easy!

Good Luck!

Thanks! I looked along the route using plugshare and yes there are several EV friendly RV parks. I will definitely stop at one of those for at least 30 min, unless the supercharger actually goes online by the time I'm taking the trip.
I'm planning on going all the way to Pittsburgh. It will be 4 long days but worth it :)

I'd vote against trying to make it all the way from Vegas to Beaver. Cedar City is also a pleasant stop in between and has a couple nice campgrounds including one right next door to the Best Western Town and Country. Just charged there last week and they threw in the charge free with my stay. If you can spare the time, there are a couple other campgrounds on Plugshare closer to Zion that would enable a little scenic detour...

I just did it the other way as did another 85 the day before. It really is a huge drop. I drove probably too conservatively and ended up in Vegas with 75 miles left. Since I was unfamiliar with the route, I was playing better safe than sorry till St. George.

I'd be really surprised if you could get a car up that elevation even if you went really slow.

I had called an RV park and they said I couldn't charge there because they were all full due to the holiday weekend. Can be a problem in places like that during peak season.

It's unlikely that St. George will be done by July from what others have said on the St. George thread. While it might be technically possible to get from the LV supercharger to Beaver, going 55 in zones that are generally 75-80 seems pretty dangerous.

It's unlikely that St. George will be done by July from what others have said on the St. George thread. While it might be technically possible to get from the LV supercharger to Beaver, going 55 in zones that are generally 75-80 seems pretty dangerous.

Most of the route has a truck speed limit that is, as I recall, 55. So if you get behind a slower truck it is pretty easy.
However, even with that speed, that climb makes me very nervous.

My hypermiling data from Beaver to Las Vegas is listed here.

Hypermiling | Tesla Owner

You report 74 rated miles remaining in LV, at the end. I firmly believe in 6 rated miles per 1,000 feet as an altitude, potential energy correction. The difference in altitude is just under 4,000 feet. That means you gained about 24 rated miles and an 85 going the other way would lose about 24 rated miles, or a net 48 miles more rated miles needed LV to Beaver. 74-48=26 rated miles the other way. That's very close; hypermiling the whole way, maybe there is another 5 or more rated miles to be gained. That would be 31 rated miles to spare; wind and temps would tip the balance on making the Las Vegas to Beaver run or not...

Any reports from drivers who have recently made this trip would be greatly appreciated! Which place did you charge along the way, and how many Rated Miles per hour did you achieve? It is tempting to wait until Cedar City to charge, then since you are relatively close to the Beaver Supercharger you would not need a large reserve charge. I hope to make the drive in the next 3 weeks and it doesn't sound like the St. George Supercharger will be ready that quickly.