Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone bought M3 Hepa filters in Canada?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my BMW’s I always buy the charcoal filters instead of the oem paper ones. It is an nice improvement.

Same idea here, if I can buy an improved aftermarket for the same price (they are $40 on amazon) then why not.

The oem folded paper filter is just a cost cutting thing, the S and Y have a hepa filter stock.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Dog
On my BMW’s I always buy the charcoal filters instead of the oem paper ones. It is an nice improvement.

Same idea here, if I can buy an improved aftermarket for the same price (they are $40 on amazon) then why not.

The oem folded paper filter is just a cost cutting thing, the S and Y have a hepa filter stock.

Having some charcoal in there doesn't seem like a bad thing but I don't think that's the same as HEPA. HEPA means the filter actually takes out much smaller particles, and to do that it will significantly slow down the rate of air intake without more powerful fans or the existing fans working harder (potentially beyond design spec). It may be fine, but it may also cause issues with the motor.

You don't know that. Sure, a hepa filter costs a few dollars more, but it also requires a much larger fan & blower assembly. So adding a thicker filter is the easy part. In fact, if it was that easy to swap out filters, Elon could easily sell the hepa as an option, just like mud flaps, and make more profit. He doesn't bcos they require a larger fan/blower...ask any hvac person.

It's not that simple. The cost of the filter itself isn't the issue, it's that it restricts airflow dramatically due to the fact it's designed to catch 99.97% of 0.3 micron particles.

I discuss this in detail in this thread (and subsequent posts other than linked). Long story short: when Tesla adds a Hepa filter into their cars (including the China Model Y) they make sure the surface area of the filter is much larger in order not to restrict airflow. The Model 3 cabin filters are a pittance compared to the Hepa filters in those cars.
How is the 3 without the HEPA filter?

When people buy drop in replacements that are true HEPA (like these Bosch ones that claim to be tested), you can see many people complain it drops the airflow a couple notches.
https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Automotive-6081C-Cabin-Filter/dp/B07M8J9LND/ref=asc_df_B07M8J9LND/

That's why people have been skeptical if these third party drop in cabin filters are true HEPA.

Reactions: Big Earl
I think this is being taken way too seriously, I get that it is not magically going to be a hepa system. It is however from what I have read an improvement over stock and they do not impede flow enough to cause any problems.

For the same price as the stock I am happy to try. I change them every year so worse case I lost $40.