Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

has anyone done a DIY "chrome delete" (wrapping chrome in black)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey,

I have done it multiple times on my Model S, with Liquid Vinyl Wrap... Works pretty damn good, and I love it.

If you want an affordable DIY solution, try out DipYourCar.com . They have a YouTube channel that's extremely helpful...

Had mine wrapped about a month ago in Satin Black 3M. Love it.

Attachments

• 20160403_122144_HDR.jpg
    20160403_122144_HDR.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 1,194
  • 20160403_122205_HDR.jpg
    20160403_122205_HDR.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 1,002
Had mine wrapped about a month ago in Satin Black 3M. Love it.

Hi Sm4llz.....looks super
I noticed your door handles are carbon fiber.....did they wrap these att he same time?
Any issues with the wrap on handles peeling or the handles themselves sticking after being wrapped?
Intrigued why you didn't wrap the handles the same as the other trim?....just wanted the carbon fiber look?

It does. I love change.

I change it up constantly.
Thanks for the info nagerseth, greetings from Belgium.

So you did a dip of the door handles also?
Only the part that is visible when the car is locked or did you dip the door handles when the car was open?
No issues with these door handles because it's a "moving part"?
Is it correct that it takes 7-9 layers to get best result?

It's for sure not going to be a DIY for me :)

br,
Christian

Thanks nagerseth. Do you think it looks really smooth, like factory paint, or vinyl wrap? I've read that Plasti Dip and the like can sometimes turn out "pebbly".

It comes out pebbly if there is a lot of humidity or water still on the car from washing my first one came out pebbly. After that the other two were very smooth.

Thanks for the info nagerseth, greetings from Belgium.

So you did a dip of the door handles also?
Only the part that is visible when the car is locked or did you dip the door handles when the car was open?
No issues with these door handles because it's a "moving part"?
Is it correct that it takes 7-9 layers to get best result?

It's for sure not going to be a DIY for me :)

br,
Christian

I do the inside and outside of the door handles. Yes, it can take 6-9 coats. I think the biggest issue here is that your hand rubs against them so they do show wear easier. That being said, it's about 25-40 minute job to do the handles. Doing inside hasn't been and issue with any of the parts either.

• Informative
Reactions: Noelis